Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Case of the Phantom Adobe Reader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

The Case of the Phantom Adobe Reader

My desktop has Adobe Reader set as the default program when I click on a file in file manager.  I have Acrobat 9, though, and I want that to be the default.

Sounds easy, right?  Problem is, control panel won't let me change it, even though it lists Acobat as an option.  Even if I use the "Open with..." right-click option and pick Acrobat it opens in Reader.

And here's where it gets weird.  I don't have Reader on my machine.  I uninstalled it trying to make this issue go away.  It is not listed as a program in my program list in either Windows Control Panel or CCleaner.  Acrobat is, not Reader.  Yet, PDFs open in Reader.

If I open Acrobat separately, I can browse and pick a file and open it and work with it just fine.  I only cannot pick a PDF in file manager and have it use Acrobat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

Nothin'?  :unsure:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

You need to change fhe file association for that particular type of file...if your talking about which file opens what.

The file type and extension...determine what opens what...I know of no program that can be the default for every type of file.

Windows Explorer.

Louis

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

You need to change fhe file association for that particular type of file...if your talking about which file opens what.

The file type and extension...determine what opens what...I know of no program that can be the default for every type of file.

Windows Explorer.

Louis

My apologies for not seeing this sooner.

Anyway, I have tried that.  From two different locations.  It refuses to take.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Part of your problem might be that you are using an outdated version of the Adobe reader. There are two current versions - Reader DC 2017 and Reader 11.0.17. I don't know which would suit you better since I stopped using the Adobe PDF reader a few years ago because of the security holes in it but since you are running Win 10 there is no good reason for not updating.

You can download either from 'Adobe.com'

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users