Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced Identity Protector. TWC. Motorola Modem. Scam?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robp2175

robp2175

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

My father in law called me tonight saying that this morning he did not have any internet and called Time Warner Cable. They said it sounded like a problem with his modem so they gave hime a number to Motorola to speak with their tech support. The number he called was 1-800-653-1176. The person he spoke to said his computer was infested with viruses (23,000) and he had no virus protection. I call bullbleep on both because he had windows defender active and up to date on his machine and there is no way he had 23,000 viruses since I just did a clean install a few weeks ago. This guy installed Advanced Identity Protector on his machine. Every bone in my body is screaming scam, but I am having a hard time figuring out how a call to the legitimate time warner cable company led to this. Is it possible that his modem was hacked and he looked up the TWC number online and was sent to another website? Is Advanced Identity Protector even a legitimate program? It sure does not seem legit at all to me and my instincts are usually spot on. I already ran ADWCleaner and it find nothing concerning. 

However, I am very concerned about my father-in-laws information. I would greatly appreciate someone to bounce this off, because it seems very odd.

I appreciate any assistance. 

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2017 - 06:24 PM.
Moved from AII to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Scam, pure and simple.

Every blessed hallmark is there.   How it came to be will be a mystery as it generally is.   So long as he did not and does not go down the rabbit hole of installing things and/or allowing remote access to his computer by unknown others he should be just fine.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users