Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio loud buzz with freeze

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 franko989

franko989

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hey hoping someone can help to resolve this issue I am having.

My computer has been freezing accompanied by a loud buzzing in the audio. It has been happening more and more regularly and now I cannot even get through 5 minutes of Left for Dead 2. So this is pretty serious lol

Each time it happens I get the following items in the event log:

Event types - Critical - ID 41, task 63, Source Kernal Power

- Error- ID 37, Source AppModel-Runtime (0x800700B7)

- Error- ID 7001, Source Service Control Manager, NetTcpActivator / NetTcpPortSharing

- Error- ID 7000, Source Service Control Manager, CldFlt request / not supported

- Error- ID 6008, Event Log, unexpected shutdown

I have abbreviated this a little but hope there is enough there to make someone go "Ahhh"...

Specs 

Win 10 Home (10.0.15063)

i5 750, 8GB memory, GeForce GTX550 Ti., MoBo Asus P7P55D LE

So far I have run a Malware Scan, dusted out the fans and CPU heatsink, and disabled the NVidea HD Audio as I thought it would interfere with the VIA Hd audio on my board...

I know the computer is a little long in the tooth but it still plays most games I want to play. 

Appreciate any suggestions

Attached Files

Edited by franko989, 26 September 2017 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Wait until the system freezes again, then recover and immediately generate this report

I'm late for work and will try to look at both reports this afternoon (or, at the latest, tomorrow morning):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 franko989

franko989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hey thanks for reply. I tried the computer first thing before work today and the BIOS had lost the system time. A google search has me looking at the CMOS button battery. I have replaced it and will follow your post if the computer freezes again.

Cheers!

#4 franko989

franko989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Damn... here's the file!

Meanwhile I will monitor the temps.

Thanks again!

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2101) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 15063 (1703) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Nothing much else in the Sysnative report that I could see.

And, there's not much in the Admin log file either.

I wonder if this might help:  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista-tutorials/5721-how-diagnose-fix-high-dpc-latency-issues-wpa-windows-vista-7-8-a.html

But beyond that, I'd suggest these OS repair steps (in the order that they are numbered):

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order).   Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

You can also download W7/8.1/10 from Microsoft starting on this page:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/

9 - A clean install of Windows.  This is a troubleshooting tool - and as such is slightly different from the previous steps.  In short, if it fixes the problem, then the problem was in the software.  If it doesn't fix the problem, then the problem is most likely in the hardware.

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Edited by usasma, 28 September 2017 - 05:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 franko989

franko989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

That is a lot of info, many thanks!

Re the BIOS date, it is the latest according to the website.

I started on the updates next and could see there was a problem as it would hang, but not freeze, while downloading the latest updates. I found an Update Fixer Tool on the MS web site and ran that, and it updated the latest patch. Says it is now up to date.

I think I will let it fly a little longer and see if the updater was causing the problems. If it starts freezing again I have a good list to start working from.

Will keep you posted ... and thanks again!

#7 franko989

franko989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

Whew just not having any luck. Never seen a computer so stubborn before. The constant freezing continued, so I started working through the list. The only thing I could get through was the first item, Startup Repair. After that the computer would just hang during every other step you described. I did get into safe mode and ran SFC with no issues found. I wasn't ablt to figure out the DISM but will try again...
I even jumped a step and tried a system restore from Safe Mode but it still froze.
I think it might be beyond resuscitation at this point :-/

Update....I had it in safe mode and started the dism process. It got to almost 40% and froze.

Edited by franko989, 29 September 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

OK, there's not much in the reports.

That may be a sign that this is a hardware problem (but that's just a SWAG - Scientific Wild A**ed Guess on my part)

The reasoning is that hardware errors occur at random points - and the error reporting in Windows may not recognize them if they don't affect the OS.

So, I'd suggest trying steps 4 and 5 (they will retain your data and most of your programs).
If that doesn't fix it, then skip straight to step 9 and see if it rules out/confirms a hardware problem.

Good luck!

#9 franko989

franko989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

Update...no change, still a bugger to use. I rolled back the BIOS to a previous version and it maybe helped a bit but it is still a very unstable computer. I am unable to do any steps as the computer freezes during them. I didn't try step 9 because frankly it is a little beyond me. I am basically looking to buy a computer at this point...

I appreciate your help usasma, 

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Sorry to hear that, but good luck with a new computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users