Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Has Been Disabled - Should I Log Onto The Internet To Update Scans?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 carljamespatton

carljamespatton

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

Hello

First of all, I am a total noob with computers, so please excuse my ignorance. I've previously had one problem with my home page being reset to some supposedly anti-spyware site -you guys provided great advice on that I was able to follow and we cured the probem. This time, the symptoms are worse. I hope you can help me sort this out too.

But, before I get to far, I've read the preparation instructions on the site and am half-way thru the prescribed procedure to run a highjack this log. However, it has just occured to me that being on the internet with my computer in it's present state might not be sensible. So, I've stopped for now, and I'll tell you what is happening, and you can tell me if I should stay off the internet and not run some of the suggested scans, like Panda. I still have the High Jack This tool from your help earlier this year, does it need to be updated, or can I use the version I had back in February?

The problem: until yesterday my computer was 100% normal. Yesterday it suddenly became very slow. Then a message appeared "True Vector Internet" not loading, or something similar (it comes up every 20 seconds or so). Then I noticed my Zone Labs firewall wasn't working. So I switched the Windows firewall back on. I haven't downloaded any program files recently. My computer is used by others in the house - but I can't see any new programs someone might have downloaded that might be causing this.

I ran Search and Destroy straight away and it picked up 8 problems, including these worrying sounding ones:

Microsoft Windows Security Centre_disabled

Telsaplus.com [which I searched to find was a spyware thing]

Microsoft Windows Security Centre. Antivirus disable notify

I followed some of the highlighted problems to find they are 'registry key changes' - though I do not know what this means. Please let me know if any of this is enough to indicate I should stay off the internet, and what I could do from here to solve the issue. Also, for what it's worth, I've noticed that the cooling fan is switching on and off every 5 seconds - if that's indicative of anything.

Thanks, and kind regards

Carl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users