Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Windows Defender 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

After through research both here and eslewhere it appears I need to disable or uninstall WD if useing another AV solution, however it seems to be a bastard of a process in doing so. When I follow the instructions for https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731745(v=ws.11).aspx to add the snap-in it's not there, although there are  many 'downloadables' available which I don't trust. Do I really need to disable/remove defender, and iof so what's the best way? As always, many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

No, you do not, ever, need to uninstall Windows Defender to install a third party antivirus or security suite.

Any third-party antivirus/security suite from any major or minor player in the field does what they've been doing for years, disabling the realtime AV component of Windows Defender when they install themselves so that no conflicts will ensue.

The latest version of Windows Defender on Windows 10 (and maybe Windows 8.1, I'm not sure) will remain active as an occasional automatic anti-malware scanner in addition to whatever third-party antivirus or security suite is running.  It never hurts to have something else taking a look every once in a while but where you don't have to kick it off manually.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Ok thanks. I have used AVG, Avast and Bitdefender and noticed defender turning itself back on. Just want to make sure it wouldn't hinder the other AV.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'd also suggest you do some reading about the latest version of Windows Defender along with the added functionality that's coming with Version 1709.

I have used many third-party products in the past but have chucked them given what's happened with Windows Defender since the advent of Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Interesting, because I've seen defender in active mode (being passive) until I run Malwarebytes and only then does it start reporting threats as soon as MBAM uncovered the threat!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Windows Defender is now called Windows Defender Antivirus...see Security: What's new in Windows 10, version 1703 IT pro content (Windows 10 Creators Update).

Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Creators Update includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. It is is compatible with any third-party anti-virus...see Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection

Windows 10 Anniversary update includes Limited Periodic Scanning to provide additional protection against malware for those using a third party anti-virus program as their primary protection. This feature allows you to run occasional scans with Windows Defender without conflicting with a third-party anti-virus. When enabled, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your computer (or allow you to schedule scans) for threats and remove them. The Limited Periodic Scanning feature is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing anti-virus programs real-time protection. Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your computer (or allow you to schedule scans) for threats and remove them.

Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled automatically by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users