Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adjusting Rgb

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kochman

kochman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

hey guy's all the info that i have is that the system is a dell optiplex 170 L , all available hardware is on board. when i formatted system for friend i just let windows install all onboard drivers and everything seemed to be fine.

when friend got PC home it would not show the colour red? trying to solve things quickly i brought him a new monitor that i knew it looked ok on but still the same reults, i am told that occassionally it will show the proper colours.

system is running windows xp sp2 and like i said everything is onboard, typical dell system.

i was wondering if there is a way to change saturation values of RGB and even if that may be a source of the problem?

any help or even a steer in the right direction would be great. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Dell's come with a number of CD's - are you sure that you installed the drivers from the CD - rather than the default drivers that Windows uses?

Try another monitor on the system - if it shows no red, then the problem is the system. If it does show red, then the problem's with the monitor.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kochman

kochman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Dell's come with a number of CD's - are you sure that you installed the drivers from the CD - rather than the default drivers that Windows uses?

Try another monitor on the system - if it shows no red, then the problem is the system. If it does show red, then the problem's with the monitor.

i downloaded del drivers but i know that the video card was detected automatically, i have tried two monitors and they both show no red, red almost looks like there is dark green in it or something so i know it is the system i just don't know what..... i really wish i had more info for u, do you think that updating the drivers may help?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

Uninstall the Dell drivers, reboot and then reinstall them.
Make sure you have installed the Dell video adapter (or video card, whichever may be the case)

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

Also make sure that there are not two video cards jockeying for posistion... however if you say it worked on your monitor before you shipped it, is your friend on a crt monitor? Also you may want to check the properties of your display, see if you can display more colors.

#6 kochman

kochman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

Also make sure that there are not two video cards jockeying for posistion... however if you say it worked on your monitor before you shipped it, is your friend on a crt monitor? Also you may want to check the properties of your display, see if you can display more colors.

awesome suggestions guy's thanks.... i have tried all adjustments through display proepties and adjusting the RGB does nothing to red.

i will see if there are 2 cards installed maybe it is looking for a card and then running off the onboard or something similar

\drivers have been installed and uninstalled several times so maybe that is the prob also i will try that too

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

It is doubtful that there is a video card installed as the manual for that computer does not show either an agp slot or a PCIe slot.

The fix may be to use an old type pci card though - something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2&CatId=319

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

When installing Windows, it will detect a video card and will install default drivers for it. This is so that you can see the video when the computer boots and isn't intended to be the correct driver. This allows you to see what you're doing when you install the actual video drivers.

I have heard of some monitors requiring special drivers also - but have no experience with them (I just settle for the default monitor on my installations).

Some further thoughts...

Have you checked the plug where the monitor plugs in to see if there are any bent or missing pins? Have you tried another monitor to see if the problem is with the monitor itself or with the system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 kochman

kochman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

thanks for the tips guy's, i think i will try installing a video card into it and see where it goes from there, looked for bent pins and saw none, also checked to see if they were dell drivers and they are now i installed them yesterday and same problems....... i am going to try the video card thing and then if it doesn't work they will have to get used to playing there games with no red lol

#10 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Are they running an lcd monitor or a crt monitor? If it's crt, I suggest you replace the cable for the monitor... of course, i also suggest you look up the vga of the system.

Edited by Gyro, 21 September 2006 - 04:51 PM.

#11 kochman

kochman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

crt monitor .... have used two cables now same prob...... what about the vga?

#12 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Well from what I've looked at, all signs point to hardware failure, if your computer has an old graphics card+ old monitor, it's going to have the same problem... I think if you switch to lcd it should work, but before ya do that, look up the videocard you have, once you find out, we'll look for a VGA or Video Graphics Array, it's essentially the same thing as video drivers, except it's more software/firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users