Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win OS - Should I format my portable HD as NTFS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

I'm having a replacement drive sent to me as Win 8.1 had some wierd issues accessing the first copy:

Sometimes I could get into the drive but most time I couldn't.

When I could get into the drive, after copying several files back or forth, the drive would freeze

and I wouldn't be able to get back into it for awhile; nor see the drive listed in explorer or Disk Management

The drive comes formatted for exFAT

I'm wondering if I might avoid the above issue (if the problem just wasn't simpley a bad drive)

by formatting the new replacement as NTFS before even attempting to use it?

Edited by TCSNinc, 26 September 2017 - 05:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

NTFS is still the standard for assorted  'WInders' desktop OS variants; no reason not to use it...

Was the drive in question an external USB drive, or, a SATA drive just added internally addition for storage?

(I mention it because I sometimes see some weird behavior from an external USB drive on a USB front port , but, only if the port next to it is being used by my wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse adapter...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

I think it will turn out that the drive was simply faulty, there's no reason for type of file system to give the symptoms you experienced.

However, NTFS would be the commonly used file system for a portable HDD, as long as you don't expect you may need to use it with an Apple computer. exFAT works best on flash drives, but can be used for regular hard drives where compatibility with Apple computers is needed. So can FAT32, but exFAT is a more advanced file system.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

Can be just about anything, poor connections, faulty usb port, wires, hard drive, controller electronics inside the enclosure. I tend to stay away from plugging things into the front usb ports. Often times you will get a cross-talk as the wires are poorly shielded that come prebuilt with computer cases. Happens with mic/phono in front as well. Static and hiss sounds with movements of mouse.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Any time you're formatting a drive you need to consider what Operating Systems (OS) you are going to use with it and make sure that the format you select is compatible with all of the OSes you plan on using.  For instance I had an Android tablet that you can attach a USB drive.  However, the Android won't read exFAT, but will read FAT32.  So, when I copied movies to the 128GB USB stick I had to get additional software to format a 128GB drive as FAT32 on Windows 10 so that the tablet could play the movies.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yes use NTFS, even if you dual boot linux it going to be useful for cross compatibility.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users