Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Operating System

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:08 AM

I’ve lost my operating program. Apparently I’ve lost the driver for the hard disk drive.[/size]
I did a restore. The computer seemed to be going through the routine normally. But when it restarted, it left me with a black screen. I tried several times to reboot, all failed. I booted to bios, set to open from CD ROM and used installation DVD to repair or even install anew (Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended for distribution with refurbished PC). I tried all routes, I.e. to fix or install. For repair I wound up with the following message:[/size]
Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically 
Problem signature:
Problem event name: ------------------------startup repair offline
Problem signature 01: -----------------------0.0.0.0
Problem signature 02: -----------------------0.0.0.0
Problem signature 03: ----------------------unknown
Problem signature 04: ----------------------0
Problem signature 05: -----------------------unknown
Problem signature 06: -----------------------1
Problem signature 07: -----------------------unknown
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
For Fresh Install I am stopped: It goes through opening choices, language, Country, etc Enter/Next. Accept license agreement. Choose “Custom Install” over “upgrade”. Where do you want to install. Shows Disk 0 partition 1 --- partition 2.
Choose partition 2, 465 GB Primary. Option: to "Load Driver "  or  “Enter” to move on to next step.
Load Driver   "Must insert installation media."
Enter  "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files.
​The Hard Drive:

Western Digital
mdl - WD5000AAKS - 60WWPKO
P/N - 649944 -001
CT: 2cadtooud1aiam
S/N - wcayuce91369

WWN: 50014ee159a8dcda
Date: 02 aug 2011
DCM: hannhtjmhn
DCX: 9w06wc8p1
RN: 771640

Does it seem that my entire problem is a lost driver for this unit? If so, where do I get a driver and how do I install it.

I’ve only installed a new HD once. As I recall, there was no need to install a driver. Do new HDs come with driver pre-installed, or are drivers installed elsewhere - somewhere other than HD?

From the information I’ve given, would you expect that I could simply install a new HD, install Windows on it and be done? (This HD is getting quite old anyway)

Edited by Platypus, 26 September 2017 - 03:45 AM.
Removed Chinese text

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

No driver is required for the hard drive itself, Windows is generally looking for a driver for the SCSI/SATA/IDE interface.

It commonly means the BIOS settings are wrong, what mainboard is the system using? Does the drive show in the BIOS screen?

Edited by Platypus, 26 September 2017 - 03:52 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-GX280-DESKTOP-LGA775-VGA-OEM-MOTHERBOARD-XF954-KC012-CG812-0XF954-/251887088447?hash=item3aa5a3f33f:g:nGkAAOSwH2hZt1RD

The Mobo is the one at the above link. Dell OptiPlex gx280 mini small tower.

F12 takes me to "Boot Device Menu". Nothing else got me anywhere. From here I can manually select which drive to boot from. Also offered is "System Setup", Hard Drive Diagnostics" and Boot to Utility Partition.

Just tried the "Hard Drive Diagnostics" and the computer did not respond at all. The HD is very hot, so I just shut it off to let it cool. It's been running (for about 20 minutes) opened up so the fan hasn't been pulling air across it.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

I think 2 main possibilities are that the hard drive has simply failed, or with a GX280, electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard could have gone bad:

https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

I'll pop a different drive in there and see what happens. 

By the way, do you know what mobo I could find on the used market that would upgrade on step to a 2-core processor? That old single core is soooo outdated.

It's a Dell Optiplex GX280, small mini-tower, desktop.

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Everything was the same except now I can get into bios. I'm showing 2.5GB memory, which is correct. But in OS Install, I'm showing max memory is 256MB.

Just before all this started (when I did a "restore to earlier time", I uninstalled the driver for the DVD-ROM. When I did that, to my surprise the unit disapeared from Device Manager. That's why I did the Restore. The DVD unit ran the Windows Install Disk though. 

Where does the driver live for a DVD-ROM IDE? How to get a driver back where it belongs (if MB is not bad)?

thanks much

#7 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

File: windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: This 64 bit application couldn't load because your pc doesn't have a 64 bit processor.

I did not try to load that program. Windows must have done it automatically, but chose the wrong version. (?)

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

I'm not clear what it is that you've done. You were going to try a different hard drive?

WINLOAD.EXE is the Windows System Loader, which will always run during boot. It's running from system32, which should mean it is 32bit, and it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the CPU in the system is not 64bit capable anyway.

All this losing things and weird behavior is characteristic of faulty hardware, and makes me think you're spending a lot of time trying to get an old piece of junk to work...

Edited by Platypus, 27 September 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#9 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

I recently updated my PC to a newer system - putting the old OptiPlex in storage.

you're spending a lot of time trying to get an old piece of junk to work...​

That very well may be. But it was working well.  I pulled the "old junker" (the OptiPlex) out of mothballs to help out a friend who needs one. Plus I'd been wanting to try something I'd read about making an old single core work better.

No, I wasn't intending to try a different hard drive. I was trying to increase the speed of this computer. I wanted to tweak it up just a little bit because it was slow running Win7 (it was sold with xp). Windows has a diagnostic program that stated "The DVD ROM driver responded slowly and may need updating." So, I went into Device Manager, thinking I could uninstall the driver and then reinstall it. But when I uninstalled the driver, the device (DVD-ROM) disappeared completely from Device Manager. I looked around for a solution and found the idea to simply reset the computer to an earlier time. 

NOW - to be clear. In Device Manager, I uninstalled the driver for the DVD-ROM and it disappeared. The DVD-ROM was no longer visible in Device Manager. I did not "try a different hard drive". Then I attempted to reset the machine to an earlier time, simply to undo the missing DVD problem. Whatever broke on the old piece of junk, it broke at that time. It rebooted to a black screen and the OS could not be found. 

The next day I stuck a different HD in to see if the computer would boot. It seemed like a reasonable course of action to me.

All this losing things and weird behavior

There is not a bunch of different incidences of losing things. The DVD-ROM: there are lots of references on the web to DVD players disappearing from Device Manager in Windows 7. My problem is whatever made the entire system fail. I don't give a damn if I fix it at this point. But I'd love to understand what happened. If the processor has 64 bit capability...well...here, this is from Wikipedia: " Pentium 4 is a line of single-core central processing units (CPUs) for desktops, laptops and entry-level servers introduced by Intel on November 20, 2000[1] and shipped through August 8, 2008.[2] They had a seventh-generation x86 (32-bit) microarchitecture...".

I reported the message about the apparent attempted download of Winload.exe verbatim, as it was. Winload.exe must be missing.

Perhaps the main board HAS failed. Or the HD. Maybe it was a piece of junk before I ever pulled it out of the closet. But I had read that a few tweaks could make it run nicely.

The system motherboard doesn't have any swollen capacitors. I've replaced capacitors before and I know what they usually look like if they've gone bad. That does not mean that the board isn't bad. I understand that. I don't have a clue HOW, but it looks to me like System Restore did something to the Winload.exe File. The DVD-ROM driver bit is a completely separate issue that I should have left alone in the first place. After I have found a way to replace Winload.exe, if that doesn't make the computer work, I'll give up. I'm fully aware that it's junk. If it is made to run again, it will still be junk. But that's not what this about.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

A similar sounding set of symptoms to these was found to be (presumably) corrupted CMOS data, and resolved by a CMOS reset. If the BIOS clock doesn't show and hold correct time, also try replacing the CMOS backup battery. The RTC time going back to default, such as 1st Jan 2000, can mess Windows up:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/0xc000035a-when-trying-to-re-install-7-enterprise/818ceed9-8224-4cdc-98d1-7a57235641e4

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

No, I wasn't intending to try a different hard drive.

I was recalling this comment:

I'll pop a different drive in there and see what happens.

I wasn't clear whether you had done that and were reporting what happened.

#12 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

Update:  

I thought you might enjoy hearing about how this went. It's the least that I owe you, as I always appreciate so much when someone donates their time to help me.

I had another old computer with xp. So I pulled the hard drive and installed it in the broken computer. XP started, but there were problems, mostly with the monitor. I had to manually adjust it to get things on-screen. I was unable to load the drivers for the usb wifi adapter. The DVD-ROM couldn't spin the small platter without it vibrating like it was unbalanced. But my good computer would spin it just fine. So I put it on a thumb drive and finally got that going. Nest I put Windows Repair All-In-One on a thumb drive and ran it on the broke machine. Apparently that dvd drive does need drivers, as WRAIO reported installing them (as well as updating some other drivers). Then I used Rufus to make a bootable FreeDOS which I used to flash a BIOS update.

And then I put the Windows 7 HD back in and it still wouldn't boot. I decided to try the Repair Disk again and was getting the same feedback; "Windows cannot repair...". I then tried to fresh-install again. This time I got much further, but eventually was unable to complete the install. I can't remember what the message said. So I ran chkdsk, several times. The results were puzzling. 3086 KB total disk space with 597 KB available. At first I thought it had been confirmed that the HD had bit the dust. But I wanted to run DBAN, just to see if wiping the disk to a completely raw state would do anything. It certainly seemed possible that something was wrong with the partitions. I was reading about it when it occurred to me that the damn thing is probably trying to boot from the wrong volume!!!! I found some software, MiniTool Partition Free, that allows the user to reset the boot flag. As far as I know, there was no other way to do that with my circumstances.

I wanted to examine the BIOS menu before proceeding. I didn't change anything in BIOS.

When I exited BIOS the bleepin'^*#@!computer booted into Windows 7

It was a fresh install of Windows 7. So I guess the install had completed after all. I've been letting it download the 70 trillion updates. Restarted many times at this point. Everything is working perfectly.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed. Hopefully the clean install will have got around all the problems, and everything will behave!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users