Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ME/2000

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter252

peter252

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:01 PM

i have just purchased an apple ipod. the ipod needs windows 2000. I use windows Millenium edition. I was aware you needed windows 2000 for the ipod to work but believed that since it was called the millenium edition it was just an update of windows 2000, is this the case. is there any way i can get my ipod to work? when i load the installation software for the ipod it says i need windows service pack 4. I downloaded this from microsoft.com but when i try to install this update it gives me 2 error messages as follows:

The W2KSP4_EN.EXE file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\W2KSP4_EN.EXE
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Please Help!! thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

Please download and run This .

Then go here and update Windows.

Then go here and download and install HijackThis. Then let it run by scanning a log. Copy and paste that log here for analysis. How you do that is this:
Click on HijackThis and a box opens up. Click Scan. The window you see will instantly fill in. Click Save Log. A window will open asking where you want the log to save to. My Documents will be fine, or the desktop if you wish. Just be sure not to checkmark anything at all until an expert here tells you to. When you click Save, it will automatically open up a box with the log already pasted there using Notepad. Copy and paste that log to the HijackThis logs and Analysis forum here at the link above.

#3 peter252

peter252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

ok followed your instructions. CYRO says my hijack this log is clean. I also updated my windows millenium edition but i am no closer to being able to install my new ipod any suggestions?

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:59 PM

Peter, when you first posted I tried a google search, using these:
W2KSP4_EN.EXE file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem.
W2KSP4_EN.EXE
"missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem."
missing export NTDLL.DLL
NtShutdownSystem.

and came up with 3 outta 10,000 responses that made some sense to me. Unfortunately a day later and I can't find that wordpad. :thumbsup: So, first off:
  • Google searchs are limited to 10 words
  • try different combinations
  • Your OS is winME
  • I found that this file applies to win2000 & winNT also
  • MIcrosoft Help & support links to the win2000 "predominate" problem, but if you get there, check links for possibly more appropriate links for your version. Applies to: is usually listed at the bottom of any KB discussion
  • Other links involve downloads of replacement files... some charge, some have other strings attached. For that reason i was reluctant to experiment using my winXpproSP2 that I have enough annoyances with from time to time.
As often as not, discussion board links can provide clues as well. Hope you can find appropriate info. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users