Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD problem and a question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

Today i finally got my new computer, so i decided to install Windows 10 on the SSD and it works without a problem. So next plugged in my older 2TB seagate HDD, just to see if the format of the drive was correct (i mentioned this in another post here) and it let me format the drive in question so i had all the room i originally had on the drive. But when i placed it on the mounting bracket and loaded into windows it said something about needing to remove a drive because an operating system couldn't be found, yet prior to this it was working fine lol. So i unplugged the HDD and windows booted. How can i make Windows recognise this HDD? Because it let me put programs etc on the HDD. Did i ruin the boot order plugging it in? Also, can i use this HDD i have mentioned just to install programs and my pictures etc? As i want my SDD leaving for games and Windows only. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mozza7

Mozza7

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hi,

You may need to adjust the boot load order in your BIOS, it should pick it anyway, but it might have just missed it.

On your motherboard, the SATA ports will have numbers (1, 2, 3 etc)

If you plug the HDD/SSD with Windows OS installed on into SATA 1, this may also fix any issues. but you can edit the boot order in your BIOS

You will need to edit the paths etc for the Pictures file to be moved into the new HDD, but yes, it is easily done, there are plenty of instructions on Google, that's how I have it setup myself.

256GB SSD for purely my OS and a select few games, a 2TB HDD for the rest of my games, and a 1TB HDD for everything else, pictures etc..

Edited by Mozza7, 26 September 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

If this hdd is for storage it doesn't belong in the boot order.  If it is not listed in the boot order you should be able to see it in Disk Management.

Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the X key to open the Windows menu.  Select Disk Management in the menu.

Did you change the boot order so that the ssd is the first device in the boot order?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

Weirdly enough, i turned it on again before i went to sleep and it recognised both drives and it's been the same since so thankfully it fixed itself without me having to do anything myself lol. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Let us know if the problem returns.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies and i had to reinstall Windows due to other mammoth issues that occurred. When i reinstalled Windows i reinstalled the HDD with disk management and everything is great now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users