Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Ports. How To Check The Router?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abrogard

abrogard

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I have been having hassles with this router since we've had it.  A couple of months.

It will  not open ports.  Except a couple of times it has done so.  So I don't know where we are at.

I have asked the vendor: Telstra, Australia,  to give me checking routine so's I can figure out if the thing is broken or not but I get nothing from them.

That seems weird.  You should be able to check any machine shouldn't you?  So's you can at least figure if a fault is in the machine or elsewhere?

Anyway,  we've got win10.  A home Lan.  A permananent IP.   Microsoft IIS on two machines on the lan:

10.0.0.13  and 10.0.0.88

13 is this machine I'm using now.  My 'main' machine. I have never been able to access it via port forwarding.

88 is the other machine and one day I was able to see the IIS setup on it via port forwarding.

But not now.

The router is a TG800vac.  From Telstra.  Probably a rebadged something else but I don't know what.

'localhost'  on 13 gives me the IIS installation - specifically the MS login thing I'm using.

The permanent web IP on 13 gives me the router itself.

10.0.0.13 on 13 gives me 'unable to connect'.

10.0.0.138 on 13 gives me the router.

Does anyone know anything I could do to at least establish that the router is or isn't working as it should?

Oh, yes, Port checkers always tell me the ports are closed.  They tell me that port 80 is closed, too.  Please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand that bit in particular.  I thought all http traffic goes through port 80 typically on our computers?  So how can it be closed if I'm still interacting with the web?

That's always puzzled me.  Time I got that sorted out.

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

First what kind of internet service do you have business or residential?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 abrogard

abrogard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

residential.

I just got a surprising thing happened.

I created another port forwarding rule, just testing,  55000 to machine 88.

and it worked!

so I tried a new rule for machine 13 - 55010.  It did not work.

I closed that browser (firefox) because it has over 100 open tabs with some kind of vague idea that perhaps it was overloading the computer with connections.

and I opened Chrome.

tried 55010.  failed.  'too long to respond'   that was an attempted connect to machine 13.

Anything to 88 succeeds.  Anything new. 

Nothing to 13 succeeds, new or old.

tried 55000 again.  Success.  That to 88.

tried the old rule 3300 to 88 again - failed.

tried the old rule 3333 to 88 again - failed.

tried the old rule 2280 to 13 again - failed.

tried the old rule 55559 to 13 again - failed.

55000 page had been closed.  tried 55000 (to 88) again - success.

created 55100 to 88 - success

Deleted 3333 to 88 and recreated it,  3333 to 88 - success.

Deleted 3300 to 88  and recreated it.  3300 to 88 - success.

Made a new rule 55200 to 13.. fail

Made a new rule 3316 to 13. fail.

Swapped browsers back to Firefox.

55000  success

55100 success

3333 success.

3300 success.

Edited by abrogard, 25 September 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

That my friend this is part of the problem. ISP's that provide residential service frown on residential customers hosting web servers for any reason. What are you hosting if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by arlattimor, 25 September 2017 - 10:25 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

Hello anybody there?

A. Lattimore

#6 abrogard

abrogard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

I've been in touch with the ISP.  He's called Telstra.  Biggest in Australia.  For decades was the only one. Govt. owned used to be.

They swear they don't block ports.

They're even sending a techie around tomorrow to look at the router because I kept pushing them for at least give me some way I can test it, be sure it is good.  and not bad with an intermittent fault.

they're going to waive their fee because i've laid it on so hard about all the hassles I"ve had and how there were no hassles with their previous router, just a couple of months ago...

so I don't really suspect them.

what am I hosting?  as in what site or application?  nothing.  running IIS and it has MS authentication and a couple of pages to look at is all.

And no one but me even  knows it is there.  (and bots and hackers maybe)

Edited by abrogard, 25 September 2017 - 10:38 PM.

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Interesting and you say that you have had this router for only a few months. Before they gave the router to you did the update the firmware on the router to the latest revision for that model?

A. Lattimore

#8 abrogard

abrogard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

I don't know about that.  I only know it is their latest router.

The last one was a TG799 and this is a TG800. Obviously one version later.

The 799 worked fine with my IIS.  I only had the one installation then, this one on machine 10.0.0.13.

But it would drop out at least once a day.

Finally Telstra owned up their responsibility and gave us this.

I'm thinking now this has its own intermittent fault with these ports somehow.

But I need to be able to somehow ensure it is that machine and not my machine.

That business about it working fine with the other machine makes it look like the fault of my machine.

Except that it did it once before and the next day it wouldn't do it.

And even today it wouldn't do it until I made new rules and deleted and remade the old ones.

Still a difference between that machine and this one though, isn't there.   New rules and delete/remake don't work with this one.

I'll shut down some time today I think and try to  put the old router back in, see if it works.

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

Well if I were in your situation this is what I would do. First I would purchase my own router and set up behind TG800. Then I would have the ISP modem/router configured for bridging mode. This will open all ports on their router and forward them to your purchased router, this also has the benefit of assigning your router a public IP Address. Finally, from your router, you can forward all the necessary ports for IIS to your web server. This would definitely resolve the problem

A. Lattimore

#10 abrogard

abrogard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

Well I've put the old router online.   Using it right now, here.   And it finds machine 88 okay but it will not now find this machine: 13.

For port forwarding, I mean.  For accessing the IIS installation.

Obviously everything else is working okay.  The router 'finds' the machine for all other purposes.

And that's a bit sad, I was sure it would work again like it did before.  But now it looks pretty clear that the problem is this machine somewhere, somehow. 

I've had chkdsk  type problems. Bad disks.  Recovery. Maybe the installation is defective somewhere.

I'll just try deleting and recreating the port rules for this machine and see how that goes.

Your suggested fix is good but it won't work if this is true, will it,  if this IIS or something is broken on this machine..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users