Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Not Found in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Hey guys!  I just plugged in Mate 18.0 to test it out on my Dell 660s to see how it worked.  I used .0 only because I am in the process of rearranging my storage partitions and had this one laying around.  I opened Firefox and saw this, and could not get on any websites?

3IyNfE7.png

Edited by pcpunk, 25 September 2017 - 05:23 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

Looks like DNS resolution is not working.

Check to see if you have a /etc/resolv.conf (ls -ltr /etc | grep resolv), then check the contents (cat /etc/resolv.conf).

Check to see if your interface is actually up and has an IP address (/sbin/ifconfig -a)

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

This was a LinuX Live Session from a USB, sorry if I was not clear.  I will test it out again soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

The commands should still apply.  Even running from a live cd/dvd/usb, the DNS resolv.conf needs to get set up somehow.  If the network interface is DHCP, then the DHCP server should be providing the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

@mremski, this will be a big learning experience for me as all these files and Networking issues elude me.  

I just booted Mint Mate 18.2 to do some testing for a client, and to possibly Install it.  I just found the same issue as I had here with a different computer.  I will leave the inxi and all the other stuff you said to check, although I don't understand most of it.

Spoiler

mint@mint ~ $ ls -ltr /etc | grep resolv
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      29 Jun 28 11:49 resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root      96 Jun 28 11:59 resolvconf

mint@mint ~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1

mint@mint ~ $ /sbin/ifconfig -a
enp3s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:26:9e:8c:9c:56  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1464 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1464 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:176369 (176.3 KB)  TX bytes:176369 (176.3 KB)

wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1e:64:86:8e:a4  
          inet6 addr: fe80::5844:2edf:d3fd:380/64 Scope:Link
          inet6 addr: 2601:581:4502:4bf7::9961/128 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: 2601:581:4502:4bf7:51ec:e130:c51d:2b19/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: 2601:581:4502:4bf7:1fe2:178:1973:a249/64 Scope:Global
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:13224 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7309 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:12886084 (12.8 MB)  TX bytes:1089298 (1.0 MB)

Hope I can learn something here, Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 10 October 2017 - 11:34 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:06 AM

Good stuff.  Let's start with the output of the ifconfig command. 

lo is the "local loopback" interface, notice it's address is 127.0.0.1.  This is correct, you don't have to do anything.

Now look at enp3s0:  this is probably a wired ethernet interface, notice it has no IP address assigned.

wlp2s0 is likely at wireless interface, it only has IP6 addresses assigned (the ones assigned are default local addresses per the IETF spec).

/etc/resolv.conf:  that will typically have the addresses of the nameservers you want to use (like8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the Google DNS servers),

you are pointing at local host, which is fine if you are running a local DNS resolver.  I don't know how Mint is set up, but this could be correct.

Root cause is neither interface (enp3s0 and wlp2s0) has an IP address.   You said you are running this from a Live CD/USB, yes?  I'm guessing the

simple answer is all you need to do is find the Network Manager and configure an interface.  If you have an Ethernet cable plugged in, configure enp3s0, probably

for DHCP instead of static.  If you are using wireless, wlp2s0 again, for DHCP. 

If the computer is currently running Windows or another OS that works to get to the Internet, you can look at the settings there; Windows Networking, get to the place in the control panel where you can look at Internet Protocol configuration.  I'm not a Windows guy, so I'm going by memory of the last time I looked at it there.  I think the Windows command "ipconfig /all" will give you what you need.

@pcpunk:  let me know if you want more detail about things or if you want less

Edited by mremski, 10 October 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Now look at enp3s0:  this is probably a wired ethernet interface, notice it has no IP address assigned.

Maybe this is because I was Using Wifi?

Root cause is neither interface (enp3s0 and wlp2s0) has an IP address.   You said you are running this from a Live CD/USB, yes?  I'm guessing the

simple answer is all you need to do is find the Network Manager and configure an interface.  If you have an Ethernet cable plugged in, configure enp3s0, probably

for DHCP instead of static.  If you are using wireless, wlp2s0 again, for DHCP. 

I wonder if this will fix itself when the Install is done?  I've had Networking problems with 18.0 on both machines I've Installed it to, that's not good odds.  I wonder if this is because it is designed more for newer Hardware, and these are older machines, Four now?  Two Installed, and Two running from Live Media?

Yes, it is running Windows 7, and will be Dual Booting or Triple booting with Mint Mate 18.2 and Mint KDE 17.3.  The last Dual Boot with Mint KDE and Mate 18.1 was wreaking havoc on my battery and Hibernation on another laptop.  Very disappointed with Mint Mate at this point, or even more so that others don't seem to be having the same issues?  KDE has been pretty trouble free for me.

I guess I'll need to install it if I want to continue, but leaning towards just installing KDE 17.3 or .1 as I never have these kinds of issues with .1

Thanks mrE, that was just enough info for me to study up on, and, make a decision if I want to bother installing just to help one customer with a Printer Scanner issue, among other things.  Also to get to know 18.0 16.0 Series so that I can keep helping people and installing to older Windows 7 and Vista Computers.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

I wonder if this will fix itself when the Install is done?  I've had Networking problems with 18.0 on both machines I've Installed it to, that's not good odds.  I wonder if this is because it is designed more for newer Hardware, and these are older machines, Four now?  Two Installed, and Two running from Live Media?

Hey Punk,

If you aren't getting a connection now in the live mode, I doubt it will be any different once installed. Have you tried looking in the connection settings and making sure its on and seeing active wifi connections? I've seen before were it didn't turn on automatically and you will need to actually do that and setup the wifi connection.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Sorry DC, my brain is not working correctly.  Couldn't find my Notes, but meant to mention that I can get online, just not to certain websites.  Got Yahoo and Google I think, but no bleepingcomputer and no Linuxmint.com, does this tell you anything?  Did not realise this till the second time this happened and tried more websites.

All connections/Networks are seen and was able to connect Wirelessly to mine.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Ah, then it is probably a DNS issue as mremski stated above. Though it doesn't make much sense that you can get to some but not others. I unfortunately do not have any insight into why that is happening.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

On same pc today and it's working, so sorry for the alarm, but have all kinds of issues with Mate lately.  Anything over Mint Mate 17.1 gives me headaches. 

Right now just tested another issue again, a problem where the File Manager gets stuck in the Panel when it's minimized, then Clicking on the Menu Once, and clicking on the USB Device/File Manager that is minimized in the Panel!  The Text in the little USB/File Manager Icon in the Panel turns BOLD, and it won't open lol.  I don't know why no one else is experiencing these issues, I guess they just don't care?  It's not all that big of a deal, but still don't work correctly for such a common process to be using.  It's annoyed me so much that I tried to install KDE today, but could not do that either lol...O-boy having a lot of issues today.

Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Hey, punk.

Mm. It's more likely that older hardware would be supported than newer. Don't forget, older stuff has usually been around long enough for all the driver issues (i.e. reverse-engineering; etc) to have been figured out.....although the way Canonical have been 'messing around' with their kernel releases in recent years to specifically exclude older hardware kinda makes you wonder. And Mint is based on Ubuntu, right?

This is the organisation headed-up by the man who fancies himself as the 'Bill Gates' of the Linux world, after all.....

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Makes sense to me Mike!  I'm going to install it to the computer mentioned above and give it a go just for kicks, because I an't really working with Linux to much these days.  One person I support has Mint Mate 18.0 due to my suggestion, and I installed it, and wish I had not.  Had Networking issues and Epson Printer Wireless Scanning issues.  Just installed KDE 17.2 and it works like a dream!  The goal here is triple boot with W7, Mint KDE 17.2 and Mint Mate 18.2.  I'm still extremely impressed with Mint KDE, and it's loaded with software!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hello everyone!

Sorry DC, my brain is not working correctly.  Couldn't find my Notes, but meant to mention that I can get online, just not to certain websites.  Got Yahoo and Google I think, but no bleepingcomputer and no Linuxmint.com, does this tell you anything?  Did not realise this till the second time this happened and tried more websites.

All connections/Networks are seen and was able to connect Wirelessly to mine.

This is a lot similar to what I experienced a while ago(https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/653883/cant-view-some-websites-in-linux-mint-182/?p=4306033); though I could access bleepingcomputer and linuxmint but some other websites would either give me an error ('connection timed out' or 'secure connection failed' or simply 'server not found') or get stuck while loading(at 'performing TLS handshake')...

This seems to be happening on older devices with 18.x only(at least with Xfce and Mate as I haven't tried the other editions) as I have been testing 17.3 (Xfce) since I first encountered this issue and have not found a single website which can't be accessed...

Also, I have tried Peppermint 8 with the same results.

As far as I understand, this is an issue with this Ubuntu release(don't remember the version) on which Mint 18 (and Peppermint 8) are based...But then again, I am not an experienced Linux user and I could be wrong...

And yes, just as Mike said, it probably won't be fixed after an install; it did not at least when I tried...

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 15 October 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

All I know is it's been a problem for me every time with Mint 18, so won't do to much more with it, and may need to move to Ubuntu to see if that will fix it?  I know that Mint KDE still works like a dream, and I can't even get Mint Mate to work well if it's anything after 17.1

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users