Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie In Trouble

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mitchboz

mitchboz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

Installed a new ECS mother board and p4 cpu, computer boots up to a DOS srceen and gives me 5 options to start Windows, including safe mode and normal.

I have tried all 5 modes and it just loops back to the same DOS screen.
I can hit the f8 key mulitiple times and reace the bios screen and it seems to see all of my drives including the c drive.

I don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Mitchboz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

Installed a new ECS mother board and p4 cpu, computer boots up to a DOS srceen and gives me 5 options to start Windows, including safe mode and normal.

I have tried all 5 modes and it just loops back to the same DOS screen.
I can hit the f8 key mulitiple times and reace the bios screen and it seems to see all of my drives including the c drive.

I don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Mitchboz

Some piece of hardware inside the system is causing the problem. If you havea removable sound card, video card, modem, or ethernet card, remove all of them except the video card. Try booting again. If your able to boot into windows, shut the system off and begin reinstalling the parts you took out until you find the one that;s causing the hangup.

Also, you might want to look in BIOS to make sure all the settings in there are correct.

Edited by Gary335, 19 September 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#3 mitchboz

mitchboz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

Thanks, Gary335, I do have a sound card installed.
I'll remove it tonight and retry.

Mitchboz :thumbsup:

#4 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

Your welcome! Let us know what happens! :thumbsup:

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:42 PM

Sorry, not to interupt, but along the lines of Garry335's advice, if you have 2 or more sticks of ram, then try removing one of them (or 2 of them) leaving you only 1 stick of ram in the #1 slot (which I believe is to the left on most mobo's-->please, correct me if I'm wrong!). Try your soundcard first, if it's generic, it's best to install it after you've got windows installed and updated. I've had a generic soundcard that caused issues like this before, and when I took it out, everything worked fine. I've also heard of a bad stick of ram causing problems.

Since this is a new build, I'd go back and double and triple check all your wire connections, making sure that they're plugged in correctly, and more importantly, plugged into the right place. Also, make sure that everything is seated correctly (hardware) like your VGA card (if you have one), modem, drives (optical and storage) and that there's nothing plugged into a usb port (except a mouse and/or keyboard).

Hope this helps, and again, sorry to interupt :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

You have to reinstall Windows. I know that sounds a little bit extreme, but Windows does not like having new mobos installed under the same setup.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:24 AM

You have to reinstall Windows. I know that sounds a little bit extreme, but Windows does not like having new mobos installed under the same setup.

:thumbsup: -> I've heard that removing all devices listed under the Device Manager before moving to the new MoBo will force Windows to redetect and install all devices upon first booting with the new board. Never tried it, though. Too chicken, I guess :huh:

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:55 AM

I believe it's a three piece hardware, or just motherboard limit, they do it so you can't pirate the software... greedy &^*^(&

#9 mitchboz

mitchboz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

I tried removing the sound card and rebooting to no avail last night, including reinstalling XP from my CD drive.

But I am not ready to give up yet.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more detailed in my first post.
This computer originally ran 98 1st ed., and was upgraded to XP about 2 years ago, after a mother board and CPU upgrade.

The (first) new CPU was an AMD with a variable speed fan, controlled via a rheostat. I recently revved the fan up, and then down, and bottomed the rheostat. When the rheostat bottomed, boom! The computer shut down! When I tried to restart, all I got was the system fan on. I called my local computer guru and he said it sounded like the mother board or the CPU was fried. So for one hundred dollars, I bought a brand new mother board and CPU (ESC P4M800PRO-M (V1.0A)) and (Intel Pentium 4 531) from Fry's.

Anyway, thats where I am now.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

#10 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

I don't beleive anything is fried. someone above suggested reinstalling Windows, and I think that;s a good idea, except I think you should do a repair installation, which will replace all system files and settings, but will leave all your programs and files intact. When you boot from the XP setup cd, it will ask you if you want to Install XP or run Recovery Console. Choose Install Xp. Then it will search for previous installations of XP, and when it finds it it will sk if you want to attempt a repair installation or format the drive and install from scratch. Do the repair installation. This method has worked flawlessly for me when I have trouble getting into Windows.

#11 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for shopping at fry's... anyhow, have you tried using a boot disk to bypass this? I know you tried the xp, but it's giving you some trouble, i'm not sure if 98 would still be compatible, but if you can get in with 98, you may be able to figure out the problem. The computer should tell you if it's not bootable... but just for kicks, if you can start up with a bootdisk, run fdisk, to see if your active partition is correct.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

Just to add about moving a motherboard - there's 2 issues here...

1) Is the requirement to reactivate WindowsXP after certain hardware changes to the system. This is easy to do with a legal copy of Windows and doesn't take a whole lot of time.

2) The OS gets confused with too much changed hardware and won't recognize it all on the first boot. There's different approaches to this that have worked for others.
- Boot directly from the install CD to a repair install and repair the current Windows installation before it gets to boot
- Remove all devices that you can remove and then boot, letting Windows recognize them
- Follow these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Now, I have tried the 2nd and 3rd options from the above list and have had success with them. BUT!!! I was switching systems with like hardware (similar mobo, cpu, RAM, video chipset, etc) and did not monkey with the devices in the "System Devices" or "USB controllers"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 mitchboz

mitchboz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

Gary, I've tried all those things you've suggested and I am still in an UGLY loop.
The original computer did not come with a 98 disc, but was purchased at Circuit City, so I think it should be legal.
I do however, have a 98 disc, maybe I could try that to boot with?

usasma, Iím almost ready to use those high explosives. :thumbsup:

Mitch

#14 mitchboz

mitchboz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

Gary, I reread your post from yesterday a little closer and retried it last night, with much better results.
Although I am closer, I still have not resolved my problem.

XP will try to install, and goes through these portions of setup,
Collecting Infromation: GREEN DOT
Dynamic Update: GREEN DOT
Prepearing Installation: GREEN DOT
Installing Windows: DOT WITH ORANGE OUTLINE

And then I get a window with the following in the blue bar at the top "System Setup Log - (C:\Windows\setuperr.log)".

In the body of the window the text reads as follows,

"Error

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 570.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Fatal Error.

Setup fail to install the product catlogs. This is a fatal error The setup log files should contain more information

***"

It seems like I'm getting closer every day.

I hope you or someone can take me on home! :thumbsup:

mitchboz

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

It seems that you're trying to run WindowsXP setup from within Windows.

Please do the following:
1) Leave the XP CD in the CD Drive
2) Reboot the computer
3) At the very first boot screens there should be an option to enter the BIOS or to enter SETUP (usually the "Del" "Esc" "F1" "F2" or "F10" keys).
4) Once in there, locate the boot order settings by cruising through the settings that are available. (only change the boot order - don't change anything else at this time).
5) Save the settings by using the dialog at the bottom of the screen - if there's no "Save" then select Exit (itll prompt you to save at one point).
6) Your system should then boot to series of screens like this: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users