Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feasibility of deleting XP and installing 7 or 2000 on this optiplex gx270

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drklang86

drklang86

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hello. I'm new to BP. I am also a complete novice about computers. I am enjoying, however, learning everything there is to know about my 2001 Dell optiplex gX270 currently running XP.

I noticed in this particular forum, a question asked, in July 2008, which I will now ask. Namely, is it possible for me to ditch XP by reformatting the hard drive, then, use this 8gb flash drive I just bought to install a new operating system? Like win 2000, or Windows 7?  

If so, I would be thrilled to learn the correct way to do that.

Thanks   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Not sure why you would want to go backwards from XP to Windows 2000. 7 would be the better option.

Check the specifications for installing Windows 7 and make sure your Optiplex can meet them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements

If your heart is set on Windows 2000

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc977140.aspx

#3 drklang86

drklang86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for answering my inquiry. I believe my unit, an optiplex gx270, meets the windows 7system requirements. I'm a complete novice to restoring computers. I have, however, immersed myself into the forums and tutorials on this website. I have taken advantage of many of the various downloads offered here. Having read through one particular forum, I switched servers from microsoft  server to google's public server. I guess I thought that was ok since microsoft no longer supports xp.

I use firefox as my browser. I regularly use malwarebytes. Wonderful program, that. I even opened up the unit itself and cleaned out all the dust and debris. The forum info on windows xp  "slow computer" is extremely helpful and filled with common sense.

I also use hitman pro, the all in one fix from tweaking.com, house call from trend micro.Thanks again for replying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users