Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Replacement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 water101

water101

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Here is the situation. I have a laptop where the HDD crashed. The HDD is partitioned  and the partition with  windows on it is messed up. I have it out of the laptop and I tried connecting to my desktop via a usb cable in a portable HDD case. I can see everything from the 1 partition fine but it wants to scan the other partition for errors. I tried that and it goes on and on and does not advance and it makes a lot of crackling noises.

I don't think it would be safe to install windows on the other partition. I have another older drive that is in good shape from another laptop. That HDD has vista on it and the laptop was running windows 8. IS it possible to reformat the working drive and install windows 8 on it. If so where can I find my windows key from the drive that had windows 8 on it. Also can I download and install windows 8 on the working drive when it is hooked up to my desktop via a USB cable and a portable HDD case. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

backup any files you need on the hard drive that has failed,

install the new hard drive into the computer,

next you need to download a windows 8 ISO file (using another computer), after you do that you will need to create a bootable windows 8 USB/install stick using a program like RUFUS,

use the USB stick you create to install windows 8 onto the computer,

your windows 8 key is already on the computer/BIOS, you dont need to worry about that, as long as you install the same version of windows 8 that was on there to begin with, it will activate automatically

Edited by mikey11, 25 September 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#3 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks, should I format the drive I am going to use. Where would be the best place to get the ISO

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

yes format the drive first,

you can google windows 8 ISO

you need to make sure its the exact same version of windows 8 that was on your computer, or your key won't activate

this is pro ISO....but it wont work unless you had pro to begin with.......

https://getintopcblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/download-windows-8-pro-iso-32-bit-64-bit-free/

#5 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Thanks. it has been more then a year since I used the laptop so not sure which version it was. It came with my laptop. It says windows 8 on the back of the laptop nothing about pro. Is there a way to tell from the files on the HDD or should I just guess and if it doesn't work reformat the good drive again and try with the other version

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

There's also the question of OEM versus retail and, based on the comments so far I'd suspect OEM.  I know that doesn't matter as far as Windows 10 goes, as it can figure out precisely what version your hardware was licensed for and snags the necessary components out of the "grand unified ISO."

I do not think this behavior dates back to the Windows 8 era, but I thought I'd bring it up so that someone who does know for sure can chime in with regard to this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

I am pretty sure it is the OEM version that came with the computer it was pre installed. I will look and see if I can find an ISO of the OEM version

#8 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the help. I DL an ISO copy of 8.1 and used RUFUS which was a big help. I then deleted all the partitions off the drive I was putting in and left it clean. Then used the USB and started the computer. I did a custom install and it created the partitions it wanted.Never asked for any key, I guess it used the OEM one. Computer has now started and it looks like it will be all good.

Thanks again for all the help, best site on the web with the best people.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the entire BC community.

It's always nice to see a resolution that makes everyone happy!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Never asked for any key

you don't need to enter the key with windows 8 computers, its built right into the computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users