Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to connect to a public wifi network, can't find "login page"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

In the place I'm now living in there is a public wifi network run called CityConnect, it is run by a company called pinacl. Obviously what with it being public wifi I wouldn't dream of doing anything private on it, just general browsing.

Anyway I'm trying to connect but can't seem to get to the landing/login page.

I am able to connect and it doesn't require a password initially, however browsing doesn't immediately work so I guess it is a network which needs you to put in a dummy email address and some basic details before you can begin. So I need to find the page to put those details into. NOWHERE on the internet (through searching while on wired connections that work) can I find and kind of instructions for connecting to this wifi, plenty of news stories recount the day it was set up but nothing says how to use it. I guess that for many people their device automatically loads the landing page, mine doesn't.

So as far as I can tell I need to know the IP address for this landing page so I can type it into the browser, then log into the wifi and get browsing. hence I've tried to "ping google.co.uk" and to "traceroute google.co.uk" but both give "unknown host", I've also tried setting my DNS to be google's 8.8.8.8 but this hasn't helped either. At this point I'm a bit at a loss for how to make any further progress in working out where the login page might be found.

I'm working from linux mint.

What other ways can I use to try to work out what this address would be, I expected ping and traceroute to fail but give me a list of the servers they COULD get to along the way, and by typing in the IP address of one of these servers I would guess I could easily get to the login page (that has worked before for me on other networks I've tried connecting to). However each failed without giving such a list. Also if anyone is familiar with CityConnect wifi and knows the address of the landing page anyway that could be a solution for me too, seems a bit absurd that in all their effort to say that the wifi exists no-one has thought to post connection and setup instructions online anywhere.

EDIT: I've just tried visiting any of 192.168.1.1, 127.1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, and http://localhost, no success with any of them, All fail to give any pages!

EDIT2: also just tried "ip route | grep default" in the terminal and visiting the IP address which was shown, no success. Another thing which has failed to connect to any kind of login portal is visiting each and every IP address shown by right clicking on the connection icon and going to "connection information" and looking down that list.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may be able to give

Edited by rp88, 25 September 2017 - 03:34 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Sounds like you are not getting connected to the wifi which results in you not getting the portal.

"127.1.1.1, 1.1.1.1"

Those are invalid ip addresses.  Perhaps you meant the loopback ip of 127.0.0.1?

"192.168.1.1"  this could be a gateway ip if that is the subnet the connection provides. It also would be invalid if you aren't getting connected.

Post a ipconfig /all for review when you think you are connected by wifi

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Normally systems like this you are redirected to the sign in page when you try to go somewhere.  Normally I tell people to connect to the network and then go to Google.  Normally that works and you get the sign in page, if there is one.

If that doesn't work you can try going to the gateway address.

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

"ipconfig /all" how is that done on linux mint, just put that into the terminal? Doesn't sound like a linux command.

Kilroy, yes I've tried visiting google, but don't get redirected to any page, I just get nothing loading (I'll check the exact error code that firefox gives to say whether it is 404 or some other and post that soon). I would visit the gateway address but haven't yet worked out what it is, or what the gateway IP address is.

Wand3r3r, ok, well I did try each of those Ip addresses (although you say they're invalid so they wouldn't have helped anyway), I had tried the one you think sounds like a gateway and the 127.0.0.1 address too. None of them worked. Maybe I'm not managing to connect afterall but linux mint certainly thinks I am and seems to be telling me a connection speed and some data on the number of packets going back and forth when I look at the connection's properties. Perhaps this situation is more confusing that I thought it, before I saw what you posted I thought simply knowing the login/portal page URL/IP address would be enough, but now I'm not so sure. I mean I've connected to other networks before and back then I might have been redirected (though I might have just typed in the right URL, it's long enough ago I can't remember), so maybe the network has been set up wrongly.

Edited by rp88, 27 September 2017 - 07:22 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

its ifconfig for Linux.

Here's some help

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/uifconfi.htm

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Have you attempted to clear your Browser Cache and DNS Cache. I would clear my DNS Cache first. Then whatever Browser you are using I would clear that next. Then I would reattempt to connect to the CityConnect Wifi Network. Considering you have cleared old stale DNS Records you should be redirected to login page.

To clear DNS Cache: sudo /etc/init.d/dns-clean start

To clear Browser Cache: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3V2_27iYw

Edited by arlattimor, 29 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll give some of these a go soon, but for now I've had to put trying to connect to this network on the back burner, I'm busy with important things now. I have a working connection as things are, I'd just been hoping to get to this other network as a backup connection. I'll post here again when/if I try connecting to this network again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users