Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using External HDD to copy photos & movies for Win and Mac

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 !@@**##

!@@**##

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

We have a Western Digital external HD that we bought for our home computers--which are all PC.  Problem is my son has to deal with Mac equipment at school.

The movies he is downloading to the WD HD from our home computers--will he be able to upload them to the Mac at school and edit them?  Will he then be able to download the edited movies to the WD HD, bring them home, upload them to the PC, edit them there, download to the WD, take them to school, upload to the Mac and edit them, etc.?

I have seen things about an issue here, and one other time he did have some trouble with the Mac at school but we're not sure where the problem lay.  The online explanations I have seen--even on the West Dig customer support web site--have not explained it in a useful way.

If he is going to run into a problem, what should we do to head it off?  These photos and movies are a semester-long project.

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

You will need to format the external drive as ExFat. Backup your data first as the format will wipe the data.

PC HDDs are formatted NTFS which a Mac can only read to and not write. ExFAT can be read by both PC and Mac and support large files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=291

#3 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

This HD does say NTFS file system.  It has 56.4 GB used; capacity is 1.81TB.  What should I do?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Given that you can get flash drives and/or SD/microSD cards with huge capacity it might be much easier to go that route.

The only issue I know of with HDDs is related to the file system type on the drive.  If my memory is correct OSX can read NTFS file systems (which are now the default on Windows and most external HDDs) but not write to them, at least not without add-ons to OSX.  If the file system is FAT (any variant, again if memory serves) it should be readable and writable on either platform.

John's advice is excellent.  You can copy off the data that's currently on the drive, reformat it as exFAT, and it will be readable on virtually any platform (including Android) that I know of.

[P.S. to John:  Why in heaven's name has Apple never put native write support in for NTFS!!  This has been a colossal pain, and a colossally stupid move by Apple, for far too long now.]

Edited by britechguy, 24 September 2017 - 05:11 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

You could equally argue that Windows should have support for HFS+ (it can't even read it).

As a sidenote it's perfectly feasible to have multiple partitions formatted for different filesystems on the same drive.  For example, you could resize (shrink) the main NTFS partition, and create an exFAT partition in the space created.  In Windows both partitions will receive a drive letter.  In OS X both would be visible but only the exFAT partition would be writable.

Edited by jonuk76, 24 September 2017 - 05:23 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

You could equally argue that Windows should have support for HFS+ (it can't even read it).

Actually, I couldn't equally argue that, and wouldn't.   The PC platform so dwarfs any Apple platform in sheer numbers that it makes a lot more sense for NTFS support to happen on other platforms.

I'd thought that Android had native NTFS support but I see that this is not the case.  Of course there are apps that can be used, whether the device is rooted or not, to support it.

But since exFAT works everywhere if I find myself in a situation where I know I'll be using an HDD on multiple platforms I'll just reformat it to exFAT before first use.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,306 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

Brian, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't have native NTFS write support. Maybe politics. Linux has had native NTFS write support for years. There are drivers that can be purchased to allow Apple to write NTFS. 

This HD does say NTFS file system.  It has 56.4 GB used; capacity is 1.81TB.  What should I do?

Right Click the drive in Computer and select Properties. It should show the drive as NTFS. 

#8 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Yes, the external HD is NTFS.  I have 517 GB free on this PC.  I should be able to back it all up onto the PC, format the HD and then copy it all back?  Where will I find the program for reformatting the WD HD to exFAT? 

Edited by !@@**##, 24 September 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

I think part of the issue is that NTFS is complex and has to be reverse engineered by whoever wants to write drivers to support it.  FAT on the other hand is relatively simple and universally supported.  For example, Linux has supported NTFS for a long time, but early versions were not considered stable, and could cause loss of data when writing to NTFS partitions.  Current versions of NTFS-3G are fine.

NTFS write support is built into OS X but disabled as it is unsupported and considered unstable.  It can be enabled as shown here - http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-enable-ntfs-write-support-natively-for-os-x/ but it is "at own risk" and probably not a good idea for important data.  Commercial solutions are available which are considered stable.

Yes, the external HD is NTFS.  I have 517 GB free on this PC.  I should be able to back it all up onto the PC, format the HD and then copy it all back?  Where will I find the program for reformatting the WD HD to exFAT? 

Instructions for various operating systems are shown here https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p1&ID=291&lang=en&p=217

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

Having read the support link, I am still wondering where to find the tool to format this WD HD. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,306 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

Having read the support link, I am still wondering where to find the tool to format this WD HD. 

Windows 10

Windows 8 and earlier

#12 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

Honestly, I don't find anything on the HD that I recognize as a formatting executable.  I must not be looking for the right thing.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

It won't be an executable on the HDD.  You need to use a tool built into Windows (Disk Management).  What version of Windows are you using?

Edited by jonuk76, 24 September 2017 - 06:47 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Presuming that one simply wishes to take a drive and change the file system on it, but does not want to partition it into multiple logical drives, all one has to do after the HDD is plugged in and recognized under Windows is to:

1.  Copy all the data off to some other media.

2.  Right click on the drive in File Explorer and pick "Format" from the Context Menu that pops up:

Attached File  Drive_Context_Menu.jpg   35.97KB   0 downloads

3.  In the Format Dialog that comes up, choose exFAT for the File System type and enter in whatever you'd like as the Volume Label, then click the Start button:

Attached File  Format_Dialog.jpg   31.63KB   0 downloads

In a few minutes you will have a drive that is now in exFAT format instead of NTFS format.

4. Copy the data that you put on other media (which might have been your computer's internal hard drive) back to the external HDD that's now got the exFAT file system on it.

5.  Done!!

Edited by britechguy, 24 September 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Personally I'd got with a USB flash drive as britechguy recommended earlier.  You can pick up a 128GB drive for under $50.  128GB should be more than you would need for moving HD movie files around.  The main reason for going with a USB flash drive is moving a mechanical drive around constantly is asking for problems.

No matter how you go with this, there should always be another copy, other than what is on the transport drive.  Nothing like loosing all of your work because the drive fails or is stolen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users