Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer, Windows 10 16gb RAM (7.93 usable)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asaper

asaper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hello everyone, I am at a loss here with my new desktop as to why Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) is currently only allowing me to use half of my RAM. Due to a fried CPU I rebuilt this computer with some good parts:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

Motherboard: ASUS H97 Plus

RAM: 16gb (2x8gb)

Video: GTX 1070

500gb SSD + 1TB HD

I saw some people asking about RAM specifics, they were bought in a pack of 2: 

PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz (PC4-17000) CL15 Desktop Memory (BLUE) - MD16GK2D4213315AB

During the process I formatted my harddrives and reinstalled windows (first time using windows 10, always been a fan of 7) and have the 64 bit Windows 10 Pro installed.

When I enter bios the bios show 16gb of RAM read in the correct channels however I cant seem to allow my computer to use more than 8gb of RAM which is detrimental to a lot of the things I do on this.

Browsing countless forums Ive tried a variety of fixes, like turning off the Auto Manage Paging Files, reseating RAM, checking bios to make sure its running at the correct speeds/voltage, I have no idea what to do next. 

This is currently Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I thought it might be that I havnt activated it yet (waiting on a key) but from what I have read that doesn't affect available RAM usage.

Edited by asaper, 24 September 2017 - 04:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Unless I am wrong I could only find your MB supporting intel CPUs and you have an AMD. Can you link to the MB support site showing AMD Ryzen support?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

How did you determine that Windows is only allowing half of your RAM to be utilized?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users