Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM says Auslogics Defrag installer has PUP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cwr64

cwr64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Running desktop current W10.

Just now downloaded the Auslogics free Disk Defrag 7.2.0.0 and current Malwarebytes says that the defrag installer is a PUP.  

The previous versions did not say that when downloaded.

PUP.Optional.AuslogicsDiskDefrag

So what's the deal with that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Try uninstalling it. Then when you install again select Custom not Recommended install. He you should be able to uncheck or not install some crapware that may be bundled.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as problematic. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software usually containing adware or bundled with other free third-party software as a common practice by legitimate vendors to include toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins and browser extensions. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs.

PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition. That fact adds to confusion and a lot of complaints from end users asking why a detection was not made on a particular file (program) they are having issues with.

Malwarebytes has an aggressive PUP Policy and has been in the forefront to educate product users and blog readers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 cwr64

cwr64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

Try uninstalling it. Then when you install again select Custom not Recommended install. He you should be able to uncheck or not install some crapware that may be bundled.

I did not install the product/file.  As I said in my post, MBAM is reporting the PUP on the product installer file itself.  So should I go ahead and run the installer file?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

Malwarebytes allows you to define your own rules when it comes to how Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and Potentially Unwanted Modifcations (PUMs) are treated.

If you are using Malwarebytes 3.x, select Protection Settings > Potential Threats. Under Scan Options, you will see PUPs and PUMs with a drop down box which allows you to select the action you want Malwarebytes to take. There are three options:
  • Ignore detections: Malwarebytes will not act on detection, nor will you be alerted.
  • Warn user: You will be alerted to the detection, and you may choose to ignore it, create an exclusion, or treat it as malware.
  • Treat detections as malware: The detection will be treated as malware, and corrective actions will occur.
31a.png

If you recognize the PUP detection(s) as belonging to a program you installed and/or want to keep, you can add those items to the Exclusions or ignore list by clicking the Add Exclusion button (whch launches the Add Exclusion Wizard) so they will not show in future scans. If you don't recognize the detection(s), then you can remove them. The same applies to PUM dection(s), if you made the modifications and want to keep them.

33a.png

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi, cwr64!

FWIW: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/pup-optional-auslogicsdiskdefrag/

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 cwr64

cwr64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

OK

I do want Auslogics Disk Defrag

but I do not want Auslogics Speed Boost or Auslogics Driver Updater

So, if I allow MBAM to quarantine the 2 Auslogics installer file PUPs, will MBAM only remove the 2 PUPs I do not want or will MBAM quarantine the whole Auslogics installer file?  I'm thinking that MBAM will quarantine the whole installer file.

So - do you know if the Auslogics install allows me to de-select the 2 products I don't want at installer run time?  

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

Malwarebytes says

PUP.Optional.AuslogicsDiskDefrag is adware and the installer bundles other Auslogics products.

That indicates Malwarebytes will quarantine the installer for Disk Defrag and whatever is bundled with it unless you change the PUP detection settings to Ignore or Warn and then add an exclusion.

I never used Auslogics so I do not know what options are provided for de-selecting. You should be able to cancel or exit during the install process before completion if you do not like the available options. Even if Speed Boost or Driver Update were installed they typically can be removed Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.

#9 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Download Unchecky.It will stop all the unwanted programs that Auslogics tries to install,and you will just get their Defrag.Just do the normal install and you will be good to go.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hi again, cwr64!

According to the Unchecky Change Log, it blocks Auslogics Speed Boost and maybe Auslogics Driver Updater, and the former is listed under v1.0 (August 21, 2016).

Improved support for Auslogic software installers, such as BoostSpeed.

So, if you want to avoid installing both of these, you can try Unchecky or you may have to uncheck these manually.

BTW, Malwarebytes has a full removal guide for Auslogics Disk Defrag Free on their forums, with detailed screenshots showing the PUPs being offered during installation.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 September 2017 - 10:47 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users