Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need expert to fix my speech to text problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

I am still having problems with voice recognition on my computer. I am using win 8.1. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847  64 bit, 1 tg HD.
I have downloaded the Windows WSR Macro program. I just purchased a Voice Recognition headset that is designed just for speech to text. However, it did not solve my gobbledegook text that comes up regardless of what I dictate.

Somebody out there has to know how to fix this. I posted this originally about 2.5 weeks ago but I didn't find the answer that is still plaguing me. I know there are others with this problem as I see them posting on the Microsoft forums. Their problem was different than mine so was of no help. 

Help??Somebody?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

You could have a problem with your sound card.

Have you tried a USB microphone?   If not, I'd borrow one from someone (and make sure that's what's being used as the sound input device) to see if your results are different.

I have not tried Windows speech recognition in years, but it wasn't great when I did, but at that time no one's was.  These days speech recognition on smartphones just blows my mind away, so I'd have to believe that Microsoft has improved theirs by leaps and bounds, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

Have you gone through the voice training of the program.  Normally this requires you to read a number of known words/paragraphs to train the software to recognize your voice better.

#4 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hi Britechguy, the new headset especially made for voice has a USB connection and it is connected directly into the computer. My smartphone works like a charm so I don't understand why I should be having this problem.

Kilroy, Yes, I went through several long sessions of voice training. But it isn't that the microphone isn't picking up the word for pronounciation but it puts words in that doesn't even sound similar to what I'm trying to dictate.

Here's some of the stuff that comes up. How Mrs. Trump got in there, I have no clue because I did not say that.

What can you trying to figure this followed and hand, lizards substituting words this is strange that always the bullets and that at the beginning of the sands now wander in outlook for the Mrs. Trump develops know my gosh woo 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Any background noise when you're using the software.  I'm thinking if you had the news or something else like that on it may be getting picked up.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Also, have you tried using the built-in Windows Voice Recorder to record a segment of you speaking using the same microphone you've been using and then playing it back?  What does that sound like?

Errors as grossly off as what have been described, when using a dictation headset with (I presume) a unidirectional microphone, are very unusual if the computer is "hearing you" the way you think it should.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users