Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post W10-rollback black screen, can't enter BIOS/boot menus... any advice pls?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tempcheck

tempcheck

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hi there,

I have been having significant boot-up problems since the recent W10 creators (fall) update, with an average boot time of 1.5-2 hours for last couple of weeks (no issue from sleep and computer runs normally once up). In that time there is only a black screen (no cursor, looks to be off, but power/WLAN lights on) but after a while normal login screen appeared. Ran virus scan (clear), cleared startup programs/services/fast startup, updated drivers (I can't access BIOS, but they look up to date), tried repairing Windows and the update (wu fix) (both failed), but problem persists. Decided to roll back to previous version of Windows in recovery options (as no boot issues before the update)... Machine was on black screen (but doing something with low fan noise occasionally) for over 48 hours!

Looked like it was probably in an 'infinite loop' (difficult to know as I couldn't see anything - tried connecting to external monitor but no output), so finally powered off. I have tried rebooting using all F-key combos, 0 and esc, but still nothing... just a black screen. Any ideas on other ways to access BIOS/UEFI or bootup menus?

Hardware:

Toshiba laptop s50-b-15q

Intel i7-5500

16gb RAM

AMD r7 m260 Graphics card

Thanks

Edited by tempcheck, 24 September 2017 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Have you tried doing a powercycle? Pull the power cord and battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord but not the battery and reboot.

At this point does the computer boot any bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive?

#3 tempcheck

tempcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

I did, but with the battery still in (I don't have a removable battery and don't want to open it up yet)... and no difference. I can let the battery drain down, try again when it does and report back...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

I think the only other option is to pull the drive and try to boot. Hopefully that would force the BIOS to throw an error allowing you into the settings.

#5 tempcheck

tempcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Oh gosh, you mean the hard drive?... My laptop has both an SSD and HDD, but I would rather not open it myself as know almost nothing about hardware side of things!

Am still waiting for battery to drain out

Edited by tempcheck, 24 September 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

That's the problem with today's laptops. There were designed for assembly but for service they suck. On my old laptop I can pull the battery, hard drive, RAM, Wifi card, and CMOS battery by removing the access panels on the back.

I'm not sure a battery drain will work but give it a try. You may need to take it to a good shop.

#7 tempcheck

tempcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

So true... also easy way to get out out of warranties!

Well, I let it drain, held the power down for over 30 secs, reconnected the power cable (charge light on), and now it doesn't even power up! So off to the shop it is....

Thanks for all your efforts John... appreciate your time.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

No problem. I would let the battery charge up again. See if it will at least turn on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users