Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't recognize SSD, won't boot, cant repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tihane123

tihane123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hi forum!

I found this SSD from my shelf, an SSD I wrecked a few years ago. I tried to fix it back then but got to a dead end a bought a new one. As far as I know it has been in the same spot for 2 years so I havent broken it more over the last 2 years. 

Here is where I'm at:

If I connect it to my PC along with my current working SSD, I won't get past the POST screen. Cannot enter bios either. If I press DEL it say "entering bios" but its lying and will stay there indefinitely.

If I connect only the broken SSD(and unconnect my working SSD), I can boot from USB windows and I can get to bios(note that it connects to bios ~30 sec after pressing DEL). However none of those recognize my SSD. Nothing in BOOT priority and cannot install windows since there are no drives to be installed on. When I click startup repair when installing windows, on the top(where it should say the driver letter) it just reads uknown drive.

Sometimes when I enter bios and leave bios, this screen pops up right after:

4.JPG

Can anyone help me on what to do next or how to solve this issue?

I should also note that as far as I remember, the way I broke it is I wanted to delete some stuff from regedit, but messed up and deleted core files.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

What is the OS on the bad SSD and do you need data from it?

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

If the broken ssd does not show up in the bios as a device, then you'll have to put it back on the shelf for another two years and try it again

#4 tihane123

tihane123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

It was windows 7 on the bad SSD and I dont need any data from it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

The image you posted seems to indicate that the drive is detected but you say the drive is not detected in BIOS?

Connect the bad SSD but do not connect the good SSD. Boot your Windows disk or USB. At the screen that shows language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt.

Type:

diskpart

list disk

Is your SSD detected? It should be listed as disk 0.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#6 tihane123

tihane123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

The image you posted seems to indicate that the drive is detected but you say the drive is not detected in BIOS?

Connect the bad SSD but do not connect the good SSD. Boot your Windows disk or USB. At the screen that shows language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt.

Type:

diskpart

list disk

Is your SSD detected? It should be listed as disk 0.

I actually cannot get to windows installer anymore and this happened earlier today. Even tho its set to boot from usb device, somehow after 1 or 2 boots it stops booting from usb device and goes straight to the blackscreen I posted above. Today earlier I had another windows 7 on my usb and after a few tries I couldnt get to the installer anymore so I thought I messed something up and installed a new windows on the USB. However this happened again just now. Is it possible this SSD is causing this?

I will create a new USB device meanwhile to give it another try.

Do you figure the IT guys at PC repair shops would be able to repair this? I really dont wanna do that tho..

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

If the drive is defective a shop would not be able to repair the SSD. The computer boots fine with the good SSD, correct?

Does the USB Windows installer boot fine when the good SSD is installed?

#8 tihane123

tihane123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

If the drive is defective a shop would not be able to repair the SSD. The computer boots fine with the good SSD, correct?

Does the USB Windows installer boot fine when the good SSD is installed?

I'll see this after next reboot.

I did what you asked, Shift+F10 diskpart/list disk. There is just the USB listed there. 

1.JPG

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm afraid that SSD is toast. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users