Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Or Wire

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bballjoe

bballjoe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:43 AM

i have a wireless networking card in my bedroom and my hub in the living room and i get really low latency when playing wow i was wondering if i got a 150 ft cable would it be faster . i have brand new computer and latency is slower then on my old crappy one that is connected wirlessly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

i have a wireless networking card in my bedroom and my hub in the living room and i get really low latency when playing wow i was wondering if i got a 150 ft cable would it be faster . i have brand new computer and latency is slower then on my old crappy one that is connected wirlessly

I think the problem is that your using too long of a run of cable. The longer the run, the more your signal will diminish.

#3 bballjoe

bballjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

long run cable im not sure what you meen
im connected right now wireless to a router and i was wondering if i got a cable about 150ft long would it be faster or slower

#4 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

on a 150 ft run, you would not substancially notice the latency from continuation, once you pass 300 ft, you would notice.
Wired = always better than wireless for less lag.

#5 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

long run cable im not sure what you meen
im connected right now wireless to a router and i was wondering if i got a cable about 150ft long would it be faster or slower

I think I'm the one whose not sure. Your saying your connected wirelessly, yet you want to know using a 150ft cable will make it faster or slower. You don't use cable in a wireless connection.... :thumbsup:

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

Haha he means if he connects using a rj45 instead of connecting with the wireless... and In my opinion, most videogames are based off graphic cards, ram, and cpu. However, what type of network card are you using? If your using a wireless b then yes, upgrade to a g, and if your on g, you COULD (i wouldn't suggest) but you could upgrade to an n. However, if you say network card, is it pci or pcmcia? or... should I ask if your on a labtop?

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

You could go wireless n but we are looking at 100$ NIC Cards and 300$ router. 150 ft wire there is no problem at all and you signal will still be better then your wireless. Wireless runs at 54mb/s and the wires will run at 100mb/s so as you can see by running the wire you will basically double your speed. Plus they say that wireless runs at 54mb/s but this get's lower and lower the farther you are from the router and walls ect...

#8 bballjoe

bballjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the help fellows im oging to go with cable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users