Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The IT person for family or friend

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nexusfactor

Nexusfactor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Anybody here the IT person for family or neighbor? I used to be the IT person up until my relatives obtained jobs, and were either given laptops or use the office computers. I had this one elderly neighbor who would constantly annoy me with the most trivial tasks with her computer. Every time I saw her number on call display I didn't want to answer it, but she lived 2 houses down. Eventually, the calls slowly faded away.

Does anybody have there own IT story related to a family member or a friend? Did your family member or friend become annoying? What did you do? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

I doubt that there's a person alive, particularly one with an IT background, who hasn't found themselves acting as free technical support to family, friends, and acquaintances to a greater or lesser extent.

I certainly did before I started doing this for a living as an independent tech support person (which, by the way, killed off virtually all the requests for freebies.  People seem to get that if you're doing this to try to make a living that it's a "no no" to ask for free support.  Not that everyone is going to do this, just thought I'd mention it).

For myself, whether during my "helping others for the sake of it period" or even now I simply don't deal with people I don't want to deal with after establishing that I don't want to deal with them.  When it was the "free period" I did pretty much what you have done, started ignoring requests.  Now I'm "otherwise engaged" when any particularly troublesome client calls for service.  I haven't actually had one of those in some years now, but I did have one at one point that I determined that no amount of money was worth putting myself through the hell of serving.  That's one great thing about working for yourself, you get to pick and choose your clients at least to some extent.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Not to deviate from your IT topic, but yet might be germane.
I agree, such people should be held at arm's length after advantages are taken for granted. In my own business (far from technical fields) I gave major concessions to both the elderly and fixed income folks (to the detriment of my wallet but good for the heart), but for those close, free, until realization hit.
A good analogy to get the gist would be to place an appliance (refrigerator, TV or the like) in front of your house with a sign saying 'Free' for someone to pick up, but will still remain there for days.
Change the sign to 'For Sale, $25', it'll be gone before morning.
My own occupational expertise was worth more than free and appreciated for that simple reason.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

When I worked I was a medical rep. I was talking to a doctor one day who was a private practitioner (not NHS) and he said that private medicine was more successful. He said, "If a patient comes to me with chest problems I give him medicines for his chest and advice about stopping smoking. Then I charge him £150, and the patient takes the medicine and stops smoking because the cost is very high." The NHS patient sees a NHS doctor.who gives the same medicine and the same advice for free. The advice and medicine, cost nothing, therefore are worth nothing. That is why I'm a much more successful doctor now I am in private practice." This backs up your argument r.a.d. 

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Anybody here the IT person for family or neighbor?

Yes why not.

Free alcohol and great charcoal grilled food and just all around been a really good time in my case from my neighbors. :cool:

As far as family goes only if they pay cash as family expects way to much and always become a PITA.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Toolman, been there, done that, cold beer and great BBQ, better than cash! :)

Edit/add: (sorry, couldn't help but pluck the same experience chord). 

Edited by r.a.d., 24 September 2017 - 04:06 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Those relatives and close friends have always understood the barter system.  Whether a weeks supply of fresh bread, some fresh tomatoes off the vine, even mechanic services and buying advice on used cars.  Many serious corporate types pay me to service their home units as they leave their work units at work.  Many are bulk dealers in wire, hardware and radio gear so      stuff at cost is acccessable.  My personal charges are $125 to show up and one hour on site minimum.  Additional hours are $100.  Parts are usually at near wholesale and will even pay retail for the hard to find stuff.  I also do an infra-red survey with a real time scanner for individual homes or business at a $150. charge, one hour minimum and $125 each additional hour.  I use an AGA Thermovision 750.  Cases of beer and bottles of liquor get wrapped later as gifts for family.  As an antenna guy, my pay is usually in the form of used tower sections and whatever scrap I can get from old hardware.  My spare time is fishing, as fishing is like boobies, even the small ones are fun to pay with. 

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

like boobies, even the small ones are fun to pay with. 

I doubt you will get any argument with that at least not from me anyway. :cool:

Toolman :wink:

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users