Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to add the external hdd to bios boot order

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sanakhan

Sanakhan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

I bought a new haier laptop y11b, which has a 29GB ssd and 500 Gb Hdd (St500Ito 12-IDG142usb device) internaly installed on it by default. the operating system is installed on ssd that is windows 10 so it boots from the ssd.

now I wanted to install windows 10 on the 500GB external hdd. so I convert  this hdd to mbr, then convert it into small partitions and installed windows 10 on D partition.

now I am trying to boot from this hdd but bios is not even showing it in the  priority order or boot options list.

so basically I want to ask...

1: how to add this external hdd to bios boot order?? (so it can be selected easily)

2: how to install all of my apps on this  hdd by default, without any registery edits(as it may result in malfunctioning
 of few applications).

please check out these screen shots of device manager and disk management..

Thanks...

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

1. You can not install Windows 10 on an external drive. Microsoft won't let you do that.

2. It looks like you installed Windows 10 on your internal 500gb drive.

3. You have to go into your bios to change the boot order, and to boot from your external drive it needs to be set to boot from a USB device as a first device in the boot order.

You external drive isn't even showing in your Computer Management thumbnail.

Disk 0 is your 30gb ssd

Disk 1 is your internal 500gb drive

#3 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

i

1. You can not install Windows 10 on an external drive. Microsoft won't let you do that.

2. It looks like you installed Windows 10 on your internal 500gb drive.

3. You have to go into your bios to change the boot order, and to boot from your external drive it needs to be set to boot from a USB device as a first device in the boot order.

You external drive isn't even showing in your Computer Management thumbnail.

Disk 0 is your 30gb ssd

Disk 1 is your internal 500gb drive

I installed windows 10 on this disk 1 500gb drive, and I want to boot my system from this disk, but this is not listed in bios boot order, if you check it in the device manager screen shot it is named as (St500Ito 12-IDG142usb device), that indicates that it is a usb device, and before converting it ointo mbr when I tried to install windows on this drive, an error was displayed that windows can't be install on an external hdd

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Why do you want to use the 500gb platter drive for your windows?

You'll be much better off using the SSD as the manufacture had originally set it up.

Looks like this is a combo tablet/laptop and I do not know why Haier set up your internal 500gb drive in that way

#5 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

yes it is a  combo tablet/laptop, I want to install windows on this drive because there is large amount of space available , while the ssd is just 32gb which is very less, only installing the visual studio fills up the the whole ssd and I cant install any of my favourite games and other softwares as photoshop or corel draw etc. I also tried to install these softwares on the other drive but still they occupy much of the space on c and again and again error displayes "insuficiant space on C"that is the reason I want to install windows on this 500GB Hdd to install whatever I want and there will be no insufficient space....

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

Well because it is a tablet, the keyboard/hdd disconnects. That is probably why it is listed as a usb device.

Install your o.s. on the SSD and then link everything on to the 500gb drive, including your temp internet files.

This will explain everything I am referring too

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html

The problem your going to run into, is when you disconnect the keyboard section, you'll also be disconnecting the 500gb drive and all the libraries and associated data. Using this set up as a tablet might not work very well

You want to use this tablet as if it were a laptop, so when you install visual studio, photoshop, ect. you'll have to install them to the D: drive

Edited by Joe C, 24 September 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#7 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

I have already done that and i am storing every thing on other drives,i even installed my apps on D, but still lots of files are saved in program files on C drive that occupies much space, like if i install visual studio on D, about 7.5 GB space is still occupied on C: only 1.5GB is occupied on D drive .

then i tried to change the location of program files through registery edit, but after that few of the functions were not working properly.

that is why i want to install windows on this hdd so that all the apps will be completely installed here.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

You cannot install or boot Windows on an external drive (and I'm not talking about bootable media for installing Windows).

It must be on an internal drive.  

What you wish to do cannot be done and you have been given good advice about installing your applications on the HDD.  Even doing so will also result in some space being taken up on the SSD in most cases.   Unless the SSD is quite literally filling up or there isn't enough "breathing room" for Windows 10 memory management you have nothing to worry about.  Playing with the registry is playing with fire.

But, as you've also been warned, if you disconnect the tablet from the keyboard part of your system you've also yanked access to the HDD as well.

Edited by britechguy, 24 September 2017 - 01:09 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

ok and thanks for your kind response...

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Your only other option for more space would be to get a bigger SSD, and with that being a tablet, replacing the SSD is not something you could do yourself unless your very brave (or have the money to buy another tablet with a larger ssd)

Edited by Joe C, 24 September 2017 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users