Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen randomly goes black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guitar_gazza

guitar_gazza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this. My computer monitor randomly goes black but the PC is still running.

I have tried a new graphics card, changing monitor cables from VGA to HDMI, checked drivers, installed a new power supply, changed settings on the sleep mode, put a new fan on the CPU, had the monitor checked by the manufacturer. When the screen goes black an item appears in the top left hand corner of the black screen changing from saying "Analogue" to HDMI" and it keeps doing this until I do a hard shutdown and reboot. It will then run normally until the next time.

Computer repairer has given up, I've had it back there 5 times.

Desperately seeking some help.

Regards

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2017 - 05:20 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

What manufacturer and model is the monitor?

Is the monitor cnnected directly to the motherboard...are you using a converter of any type to relay video output from the system?

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2017 - 05:26 AM.

#3 guitar_gazza

guitar_gazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Thank you for your help.

Here is the URL given to me by SPECCY

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dbVNJkaLfRucdNi701Lg3gL

The info about the monitor is:

Manufacturer:  Samsung

Model number:  S24D300HL

Type:  LS24D300

The monitor is quite new and this problem was happening before I bought the new monitor.

Thank you again. Please let me know if you require any further info.

Regards,

Gary

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

The flipping between HDMI and Analog sound as if the monitor signal input is not setup properly...or is defective, IMO.  It seems that you may need to check the output settings employed by your graphics card.  See page 18.

Are you using both VGA and HDMI connectors on your graphics card?

Did you actually uninstall and then reinstall the GPU drivers?  They may be damaged and need to be replaced by undamaged drivers.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#5 guitar_gazza

guitar_gazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi Louis, No I am not using VGA and HDMI cables together, I changed from VGA to HDMI thinking that might solve the problem but it did not.

I can't seem to get to the settings for my graphics card. Is the GPU the graphics card? I'm not familiar with that term GPU.

I thought it might be a defective monitor as well but it was sent back to Samaung and given the all clear. I tried a couple of VGA cables to make sure there wasnt a problem with the cable then tried the HDMI cable and still the problem persists.

I did check page 18 on the link inyour previous post but I don't think I understand the instructions.

Thanks, Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users