Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ongoing BSOD issues.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thank goodness that you are here and would be grateful if someone can help me to finally, resolve the BSOD issue that I have experienced intermittently over the span of a few of years but, not so persistent as to disable general use of my PC.

I have experienced it again after connecting to a server to explore a game (Downloaded) that was recently introduced to me, "Everquest Classic" . It is played on a server called Argonn.

Something that may be indicative also is that I would also experience a fan or hard drive spinning up sound on my PC all the while trying to view Google Earth and Google maps .

The above are the best connections that I associate to the BSOD events.

I ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool today and it found no errors , for what that is worth?

Hopefully, below is the appropriate info needed to enable whomever can to help. Thank you.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.63MB   4 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fnTViALfzFVJhpXQ30U5qDh

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2017 - 05:13 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Crashes/BSODs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

I am at present, running memtest86 on my PC and will follow up with the other test that is advised and post results here also.

#3 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

I have run Memtest86 and it did not allow me to write the results to an html file. When I attempted to , I received the message " Cannot open a file to write to" or, something to that effect. However, I did monitor the screen during testing and no errors were reported but the note on passes 3 and 4 "RAM may be vulnerable to row hammer bit flips".

After reading the instructions on how to use the Seagate Seatools , I gather that I am not equipped to do so as I do not have an external HD to back up to.

Hopefully, the sysnativecollectionsapp info will show pertinent info. I cannot speak with any expertise but suspect that my graphics card or its settings may be a possible culprit.

At this point, I'll await any input from the forum experts.

Thank you!

#4 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Have I done something incorrectly? Can anyone help, please?

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hello,

Do the BSODs only occur while gaming? The dump files are classic 0x116s, indicating TDR errors. Please reinstall your graphics driver using this download link. To do so, I suggest you first completely uninstall the old set of drivers by running Display Driver Uninstaller.
When finished, please perform a Custom Installation while installing:
3SKjXsp.jpg
After clicking Next, make sure you only install the Graphics Driver (and the PhysX System Software if you're a gamer). Also check Perform a clean installation (see below). Most importantly, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!! They are known to cause odd issues.
1bTMUDx.jpg

If that doesn't help, please update your BIOS to the newer version found on HP's website. In some cases, problems that appear to be hardware-related are actuallly due to a buggy BIOS version. Anyway, your BIOS version is 7.14 from 05/22/12. Updates can be found on HP's website. As updating the BIOS presents some risks, please ensure that your computer doesn't have the risk of shutting down halfway through (so DO NOT update it during a thunderstorm or if the PSU is questionable) and double-check that you have obtained the correct BIOS file for your motherboard. Here are some guides that I've found on the internet:

These are just general guides. ALWAYS follow instructions provided by your manufacturer.

Apart from that, I suggest you run the rest of the hardware diagnostics listed on this page. Skip the tests you've run already. Let me know the results of the tests when finished.

Regards,
bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 26 September 2017 - 10:33 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Hello @Bleepin' Owl , and thank you SO, so much for your attentive reply.

I will re-read it after some desperately needed sleep and proceed.

To answer your question as to whether I am a gamer, generally no. I only particularly want to be able to play that certain game "Everquest" and have been presented with the BSOD within minutes of opening the game and connecting to the Agnarr server to play on, twice in total. I have not tried again after that, realizing that it was likely, not a fluke I have encountered the BSOD several times over a few years while using the Google earth app also, and hear my HD spin up when viewing google maps, quite often, and it always creates anxiety for me , thinking that the BSOD is about to occur , Google Earth is one of the things that I would like to be able to use again.

Again, thank you so much. I will revisit this post early afternoon and check if any of the info in this reply affects your advice and will also post back as necessary.

Kind regards ;)

Edited by Scooter-Bug, 27 September 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#7 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Good evening!

I have followed the instructions above to uninstall and re-install the driver, twice, all while in safe mode. However, it has gone differently than expected ie; I have neither time been presented with the option to do a custom install. Both times, I am presented with only the windows installer which completes and asks to restart the computer. I did notice during use of the driver uninstaller (DDU) that, a button to the right on its interface stated that default settings were set to allow windows automatic installation of drivers. I don't know if that infers that the settings on MY machine are set that way but, wonder if that is why when proceeding to the re-install process, windows takes over and doesn't allow me any options? I also do not know how to change that process, if so. My settings at Windows Update are not set to automatically install, I do them after I scrutinize them.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w659/VapeVixen2/20170927_175721_zpsikyl4zvl.jpg

Another thing, I incurred while checking my device manager while in safe mode that I had two yellow exclamations and error codes there . I wonder if they have anything to do with my original issue?

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w659/VapeVixen2/20170927_162641_zps2b3flx0m.jpg

And http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w659/VapeVixen2/20170927_162615_zpsxyvkmp92.jpg

I have not gone any further other than to roll back the driver while in safe mode for the SXUPTP upon the advice of a post that I read. Though, the errors remain within the device manager in safe mode but, never did show in normal windows mode.

Edited by Scooter-Bug, 27 September 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Sorry the driver installation instructions don't work. Just go ahead and run the Windows Installer and reinstall your graphics driver normally. Unfortunately, I can't see any pictures from PhotoBucket. Let's wait and see if the errors disappear after reinstalling your graphics drivers.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello, and thank you!

I will try to connect to the site that produced the BSOD to see if it has changed. I will also do my best to run the further diagnostics that you suggested.

What worries me is that when I access the NVIDIA interface, it seems to indicate that some 3D DLLs were installed.

The pics are of the device mgr codes that I saw:

A SXUPTP code 37 "Windows cannot initialize the device driver. for this hardware"

And

CONSUMER IR DEVICE Code 31 " This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

Edited by Scooter-Bug, 27 September 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#10 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

I reconnected with the game and reproduced the BSOD :/  .

Is it advisable to try a custom install of a driver at NVIDIA? I scanned my system there and they have several WHQL version releases . One as recently as GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL Version 385.69 Sept 9, 2017 .

#11 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

I have also updated my BIOS. That went smoothly.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

After the BIOS update, how does the computer behave? I'd like you to run MemTest86 again - run it for eight passes again. Also, I suggest you run Prime95 - run the BLEND test (as requested in a previous post).

#13 Scooter-Bug

Scooter-Bug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:19 AM

Thanks, again.

Let me ask this to be sure that I didn't misunderstand your initial post. The Windows installer installed automatically, my driver. from HP.  Was that a complete driver that I downloaded from HP or should anything from NVIDIA also be irnstalled?

I haven't noticed any differences since the BIOS update. I still heard my HD spin up very high after loading up the game that I spoke of so, I exited it instead of incurring the BSOD that always follows.

I'll look into the 8 passes for memtest, it seemed to automatically run only 4.

Also, as time permits, I'll read on and run the Prime95 Blend test and post back. As I posted before, I'm wary of following through with a  HD failure test too hastily, since the warnings indicate that my HD could fail totally during the test and I don't have an external one to back up to. I do have a secondary drive in my PC though, I'm just reading everything that I can find in between work, before taking each step , so as to not do myself more harm than good. Often, it's what I don't know that hurts me. My willingness ,often exceeds my aptitude.

I appreciate your willingness to take out this time for me, Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users