Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to reinstall win7 professional

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 catsears

catsears

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

have had lots of problems with hp desktop.  someone said virus/malware.  so despite following everyone''s instructions to keep from the inevitable...I find I have to reinstall Windows7 from scratch anyway!

ok so, will someone please walk me thru it step by step, in layman's terms.  somehow I always manage to screw it up!!!

I did a 3 dvd set at the beginning like told; also did a iso disk.  but I dont know how to get anything off of them! (Im  senior and not very savvy)

tempted to just take to computer repair person and let them do it; dont have money but what other choice?

any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated, asap, for this old one.

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:15 AM

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#3 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

good morning...here's the info:  HP 750-055xt  intel core i7-4790, 3.60Ghz cpu,  WIN 7 PROFESSIONAL  64 bit, service pack 1, 12 GB  ram, 1 TB, 

anything more?  thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Worth A Read

Louis

#5 catsears

catsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

ok have read all of that, tried the steps, and I must be dumber than a box of rocks....nothing is working, it will do a  factory recovery (not with any of my disks), but apparently is still missing something.  when I try to start putting files back on, piece by piece by the way (pasting), its taking a long time to accomplish anything....clicking on  something...slow to respond; or I cant open something.

could something be wrong with hard drive or the recovery partition?

Fed up!  guess I'll have to take to repair tomorrow.....ugh! :devil:   Thanks anyway for your help.  this computer has been a pain since I got it...and its on its second hard drive!!  no more hp stuff for me...their quality has gone way down in the past couple years....

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Could be anything...I'd have to see some system data before I start guessing.  If you desire to try to find out what may be causing your frustrations...do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

it will do a  factory recovery (not with any of my disks),

If it will do a full factory recovery then I would do it without using any disks.

Most all prebuilt computers have a factory recovery partition (unless it was removed) to reinstall the OS as it was the day it was born.

You may have to go on the HP forum and create an account and I sure that someone could provide the information needed for your exact HP Computer.

My 2 cents

Edited by The-Toolman, 25 September 2017 - 12:01 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Agree with The-Toolman, if you did not mess things up, you can still use the Recovery Partition.  You can do so by simply Pushing F11 at boot, or and, following the directions at this site.  Read through it once to see what situation pertains to you.

Make sure to backup all personal files prior to this procedure if possible, if you can't then take it to local shop so they can.  This is of course if you have important personal files on the pc.

Here are your options:

1. "Recovery from the Windows 7 desktop screen"

2. "Steps to follow for Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot) OR when unable to boot to login in screen"

3. "Recovery from recovery discs"

HP Recovery Instructions

I wonder if those Recovery Disks are Numbered, can you tell us?  Should be numbered 1,2,3.  If so, and the Recovery Manager don't work, you can still use those.

Edited by pcpunk, 25 September 2017 - 05:13 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users