Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Old Computer, Dual core, 1 GB RAM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OneMoreClueless

OneMoreClueless

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi,
I have an old computer which is running very slow. Normally, it works fine but sometimes it become too slow to handle. Whenever I open 9-10 tabs in firefox or runs multiple softwares (average-to-medium-heavy designing applications), it goes unbearably slow. Firefox goes 'not responding', all applications goes 'not responding'. In fact, when I use firefox (with 3-4 tabs open) along with Microsoft Word and leave the computer running idle for 30 minutes and comes back and wake it up, even then both applications (or any other application, if running) goes 'not responding' one-by-one or together. It also happens if I watch any kind of video for more than 5 minutes.

It is Dual-core processor @ 2.7 GHz with only 1 GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). Motherboard is Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. Usually, RAM usage goes to 90-95%+ and CPU usage remains at 10-20% and goes at a maximum of 60-70% while opening of a software, etc. Computer never hangs up and complete all the tasks it received, but just very slowly.

Now, I know that a minimum of 2 GB RAM is required on Windows 7, but now as the processor is also old, so I am confused here whether upgrading RAM will have any effect on its speed of handling processes or not. I do not play any games, so heavy duty processor is already not required to me. Still, I would think to change it, if required or suggested here.

Hence, could anyone please help me understand whether to further enhance RAM or just change the whole CPU to speed up my system.

I have tried to mention all the details I know. If there is any more questions, please feel free to ask.

An early advise is highly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2017 - 03:46 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like computer runs out of memory and hard disk is having hard time. More RAM should greatly help (unless something is broken). You can also try Readyboost. 1 or 2 GB DDR2 is quite cheap investment.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

RAM is the fuel for the engine...if you consider the CPU the engine.

Running 64-bit with 1GB RAM...is an invitation to frustration.

Increase the RAM to 8GB and you should see a discernible difference.  If not 8GB, at least 4GB.  8GB is the max that I believe your motherboard will support and Win 7 will see/use all of it as a system resource (unlike 32-bit versions of Windows).  The price is right for 8GB and your board should have 4 slots with support for 2GB per slot.

Specs

Example.

Is this a laptop or desktop?  Manufacturer and model?  If non OEM (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) system, who is the motherboard manufacturer and model?

I have a Core 2 Optiplex 755 with a Core 2 Duo CPU and 4GB.  It's fine for what I do (not a gamer, not an enthusiast).

Old processors...are seldom the key factor in a system slowing down...lack of RAM, programs installed, file corruption, lack of proper maintenance, and malware...are more typical factors, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Now matter, what ever computer it is, installed min 3GB RAM (if possible 4GB) and it will run absolutely normally. Of course You may install also 8GB, but difference is small. If possible, install 8 GB, but it is not necessary at once, You may do that at any time.
Firefox is slow browser and that's why do not never open too many sites/windows/tables and they should be in use, not stay in idle.
Finally, You may not believe, but Windows 10 will run much better than Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything will run faster and is much more stable. Most important - it is still free For genuine Windows 7 users.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Now, I know that a minimum of 2 GB RAM is required on Windows 7, but now as the processor is also old, so I am confused here whether upgrading RAM will have any effect on its speed of handling processes or not.

Hence, could anyone please help me understand whether to further enhance RAM or just change the whole CPU to speed up my system.

An early advise is highly appreciated.

Here's the best advice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-4GB-Kit-2X-2GB-DDR2-2RX8-800MHz-PC2-6400U-Desktop-memory-/282665643970?hash=item41d02f6fc2:g:WOQAAOSw7ApZxcJk

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Popping in an SSD drive surely couldn't hurt, Although the older pc wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the SSD, the op should still see some improvement

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

It is Dual-core processor

Which processor is it?

with only 1 GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

64-bit Windows won't even install on less than 2GB of RAM, it must have had memory removed. On a 965 platform RAM is taken for video memory also, Windows will be intolerably cramped.

If you can fit sufficient RAM to let 64-bit do its thing (at least 4GB), then if your Firefox is 32 bit, install the 64 bit version, I think it's a worthwhile improvement.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

Windows 7 is just plain painful on 2 GB of RAM...

Add more, or, install an older Linux Mint....? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users