Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 start up issue. Ends in black screen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JzNzees

JzNzees

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

I power up computer. I get the scenery screen with our user accounts. I log in and after a while I get a black screen.
I unplugged the cord and plugged back in, tried to get safe mode on restart (F4 didn't work..F8, Shift & F8 didn't either)

Safe mode does not happen. Occasionally I've actually booted windows but I cants restore system, I can't open task manager, msconfig will not run, the only thing I have been able to do is empty the recycle bin. Everything else fails after s long time of trying.
I could not get to the safe mode from windows either, such as system configure or shift & restart. Nada.

I have no boot disc, but I would reinstall windows if there was a way I could.
Any help would be awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

It seems to be a Windows 10 update issue across multiple HP platforms. Let is sit for some minutes. Does the computer return to a normal screen.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-OMEN-Black-screen-after-logging-in-Windows-10/td-p/6320475

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/19/black_screen_after_windows_update_microsoft_says_blame_hp/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

If John's suggestion does not work this problem may not be related to a update.

Can you boot into the BIOS?  If you can, you can perform a Refresh using Windows 10 installation media. 

Since you are posting here I have to assume that you have access to another computer, correct?

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

One of the options you can use this installation media for is a Refresh.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I believe it sits on the black screen indefinitely...I'm not sure what that tells you. And I am posting HERE via iPhone. I think I have booted into bios, hitting del during startup, right? The screen where I can change the order of start up...in the past on another pic I've booted FROM THE USB first. I don't know yet how I can create a windows 10 installation

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

As dc3 posted you need to run the Media Creation Tool on a working Windows 7 or later computer and create the DVD or USB flash drive.

#6 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

I have put the windows creation media tool on the USB drive and I believe I set the priority correctly to boot up the USB drive first in the bios. Now when I start the computer it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen and nothing else any suggestions?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Did you follow the instructions to create the installation media from the ISO file?

You posted that you set a USB device as the first device in the boot order, did you make the second device the hdd/ssd and then press the F10 key to save these changes?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

I had the DVD booting up second and the hard drive third.
I've switched them, but the pic starts up like normal (which means with the same problem)
I'm going to reinstall the media tool and see if I skipped a step. And will report when I'm finished

#9 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Actually what I did was I clicked on the download tool button and it downloaded the.exe file and I say that to the USB drive and that's all I did because anything else that I did it look like it was trying to change the set up for the laptop that I was on which I don't want to do I want to do it onto my computer did I do wrong?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

#11 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yes

#12 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Wait I see what I did wrong. Sorry

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Then if you set the boot order properly, created the USB installation media correctly you should be able to boot from the installation media.

#14 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

I correctly installed the media tool. I have the USB drive starts 1st... hard drive second, DVD and LAN 3rd n 4th.
Hit F10 to save & exit. And when I power off then power on it still tries to boot hard drive first. I log in and it goes to black screen and after a white I get a pop up Failure to Display security and shut down options then below that it says the sign in process couldn't display security and signing options when control alt delete was pressed if windows doesn't respond press esscape or use the power switch to restart

It's like it's ignoring BIOS.
Is there a safe mode? Like the old days of hitting F8 during start up?
Or am I only able to go into BIOS by hitting del

#15 JzNzees

JzNzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Maybe I will try to burn a disc with the windows 10 installation. Since I've hy jacked my daughters computer anyway. Maybe there is something wrong with the thumb drive or USB port that I'm missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users