Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti virus Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Masonw123

Masonw123

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Hello I was wondering i need virus protection for my mac system

here is my system

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac16,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM162.0207.B20

SMC Version (system): 2.32f20

Serial Number (system): D25R40RQGG7F

Hardware UUID: A6E5B9D3-F53E-51F8-B6AC-42F37E7A15E6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Macs tend not to need AV software -- not because they can't be infected, but because Windows is the prevalent OS and so hackers tend to target it. However, with the iPhone becoming the standard for cell phones, that's bound to change.

Your Mac is only a few years old, and I assume it's running Sierra? If you are concerned about viruses and trojans, http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-mac-antivirus-2017-3637103/

#3 Masonw123

Masonw123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

thanks for advice I bought ESET cyber security pro

#4 Scubabehr

Scubabehr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for that advice. I am just getting into Apple and have wondered about AV also. I will be getting mac 1st gen desktop and am sure I will have a few questions. Thanks 

#5 bornfree

bornfree

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Macs tend not to need AV software -- not because they can't be infected, but because Windows is the prevalent OS and so hackers tend to target it. However, with the iPhone becoming the standard for cell phones, that's bound to change.

Your Mac is only a few years old, and I assume it's running Sierra? If you are concerned about viruses and trojans, http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-mac-antivirus-2017-3637103/

Yes, it's Sierra. we have the same specs. Thanks for sharing that info. I was also wondering about that. 

#6 Mac_Slide

Mac_Slide

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

Mostly Malware problems.

I've installed every known virus./troian and bug you can get for them in up through the 2010 mark.

There are a couple that are treacherous and severely harmful or could leave you with a boat anchor... There is a new Malware/Adware that can do the same thing. Mac Bugs really need to be installed, be that a browser extension, or a download.

Most bugs a cache clean and browser clean will eliminate - the others that are installed, most of them you just move out of their installed location or delete them.

This is not to say that there can't be, or that clever people in the future can't figure out how to.

Generally speaking, if you have suspicions, run things through virustotal.com, although that is not fool proof, it's a level of comfort.

Installing virus and such programs on your computer is usually working against you with a couple exceptions, one being Malwarebytes.

#7 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Ive used macs over 25 years. I've never paid for anti virus protection. I use the free options. many hard core mac users will argue it's not needed. as the mac gets more popular this may change. malwarebytes free edition is a good program to use on mac and windows.

#8 travolta133

travolta133

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for useful advice. I have read somewhere that Mac security is by-built very strong as compared to Windows.

#9 Mac_Slide

Mac_Slide

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for useful advice. I have read somewhere that Mac security is by-built very strong as compared to Windows.

It's BSD Unix based with a MAC twist. So yes, very solid and secure. The most vulnerability is

when the USER accepts a program that has something inside... or the browser. There also apps

that are questionable that have ended up and or are on the APP store. The most horrible things

can happen when you leave your pc unattended - as anyone who knows what there doing can

easily employ nefarious stratagies against it as with any system. Next is running things in root.

That said, I would advise ANY user, to have at least two Admin accounts as well as the root account.

In addition to those you should probably have a few standard user accounts on your system such as

for watching movies or testing code. I would only use ONE of my admin accounts on a regular basis

while reserving my backup admin account if it's actually needed. The root should rarely ever be used.

If you're really paranoid you can also set up other steps of security passwords or to monitoring ports/firewall.

In addition to having the separate user accounts I have found it necessary although rarely, to also have

secondary Web Browsers installed just in case you have fatal or near fatal happenstance to your main browser.

IN addition to having these extra browsers, user should be very careful about extension or plugins as many problems

I have encountered were through them, which IMO is the average users weakest link.

#10 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

I use Avast (free) and haven't had a problem. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#11 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-6.html# gives Kaspersky and Avast Free the high marks.

Malwarebytes is decent as well.

Avast did detect 1 threat on my Macbook during a full scan...Crystaldisk info Windows installer that I somehow left in a folder when I copied it over.

#12 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

I've been using forticlient. Use the custom install to get the other features as they don't seem to install by default.  it has a vulnerability scanner with tells you about outdated programs so you can take action to fix it. it's free. so far I like this program. Learned about it on a cyber security course I took from StationX. You can get the courses for a lower price usually at Udemy.

#13 Masonw123

Masonw123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

thank you for all your help

#14 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

you're welcome. glad to help. :)

#15 Brawdy14

Brawdy14

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Do, please, read here:-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/good-article-on-mac-av-software.2104007/#post-25774615

It is so very difficult to know what is best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users