Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

960 Evo Stopped Working? Asus Deluxe 2 MB Problem, or Drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matterboy

matterboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

hi, i have an asus deluxe ii motherboard, and im using an evo 850 as my boot drive, and a evo 960 m.2 as a fast storage option for writing video. I accidentally tried to write too much on the m.2 and got an error notification in premiere saying it was out of space; I proceeded to delete a few video files and then rebooted the computer.

I have not been able to see the m.2 drive ever since. I tried disk manager, I tried posting bios, I tried taking it out and reinserting it, and at this point i'm not sure what else to do. Its unclear to me whether it is truly "detectable" in Bios because twice I saw it there and twice I did not... if someone could give me some specific instructions on how to determine if the evo 960 m.2 drive has failed, or if it is an issue with that port on the motherboard, I would be SO APPRECIATIVE! thank you so much 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

If you have on off detection in UEFI then I would say it's probably the port or the drive itself. 

You could boot Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and see if it's detected. When booting Mint do not input anything until at the desktop. Click the Computer icon and in the left pane are your devices. The m.2 should be listed there.

https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/the-samsung-960-evo-250g-and-linux-how-well-does-it-work/

#3 matterboy

matterboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hey John, how do I know if UEFI detection is on?

I just rebooted into BIOS again and now it is saying in the Priority boot drive section "960 EVO" .. which doesn't seem to make sense to me since the IOS is installed on the 850 EVO. Doesn't the fact that it is saying the drives name in the BIOS mean that it has not failed?

#4 matterboy

matterboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yet despite it showing in the BIOS, I can't find it in my disk manager. Even when booting from the EVO 850. Seems very weird considering it was working fine for like 4 months. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

If the drive is detected in UEFI then it should be detected in Windows unless it's a total failure. 

Open a command prompt. Type:

diskpart 

list disk

If you see an asterisk under the GPT heading then you are in UEFI mode. I would boot the linux disk as I posted and see if you can access the drive.

#6 matterboy

matterboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

hey John,  so update: The 960 EVO drive does show in the "Boot Menu" in my UEFI BIOS. However, it is not listed as an option to be able to drag around as boot priority. 

I tried booting into Mint Cinnamon as you suggested from a thumb drive, and in the My Computer tab it does not list the EVO 960. 

Not sure where to go from here, any help appreciated!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Pull the drive and attach via a USB adapter to another computer. If the drive is still not detected, it's dead. If it is then run Seatools for Windows on the drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users