Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GENERAL CLEANUP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

I AM CHECKING MY COMPUTER TO SE IF I CAN MAKE IT RUN FASTER AND SMOOTHER .I HAVE DONE A FEW THING S,LIKE CHECK PROGRAMS IN START-UP.TURN OFF THOSE I DONT NEED AT START-UP.DELETE JUNK FILES.DISK CLEAN -UP. THE QUESTION I WANT ASK YOU IS ,  IN TASK MANAGER THERE IS A TAB(SERVICES  ),THERE ARE DOZENS OF PROGRAMS RUNNING,DO THEY ALL COME ON AT START-UP,AND IF SO CAN I STOP,SOME OF THEM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Indeed disabling services will give you some performances gains, however you have to be sure what you are disabling.

Read (carefully) this, it may help you : http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

in case you are not on Win10, you can find lists for the appropriate OS.

Edited by Umbra, 23 September 2017 - 04:49 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

Hi, we can see what services & processes you have running, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy the text below and paste it into the cmd prompt window:-

echo> 0 & net start >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please copy paste the notepad output here.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617106/tweaking-optimizing-windows/

Posted Image

#5 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:18 AM

Morning to all of you Please don't think i have forgotten you . i am still going through everything on freebooters list i printed it off i and i am ticking it off as i go through it.

so it is taking me a little time.  ALSO i tried the task that jenae set me ,but i am struggling with it.not sure if the o before tasklist and others,is a number or letter ,so tried them both .

but i keep getting,echo//notepad//.is not recognized as a command.  so i will leave that till last,.  

Please bear with me  i will do my best.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

Hi, all you have to do is highlight the text, then right click on the highlighted text and select copy, then with the cmd prompt open right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select paste.. press enter... it couldn't be simpler!!

#7 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

HI Jenae thanks for the reply ,  i love how you say couldn't' be simpler the first part click on the text (what text).  what do you mean with command prompt open,

i know you mean well but you are assuming i know what your talking about, i don't.i am trying hard and i would love to get it right.but i am still trying to get the first part.

echo>notestart ect ect.haven't' mastered that yet. wil keep in touch.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

"echo> 0 & net start >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0​"

The red items are zeros. In this case, you can tell they are zeros by comparing the words that have o's.

On the instructions to use the command prompt

In the lower left corner, type command prompt in the box that reads Type here to search

A list will show up with Command prompt at the top

You will see Run as administrator

Click that, answer yes to allow the next screen to show up

A black box will show up

Copy & paste echo> 0 & net start >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 in there

The services list will then show up

But in your case I hope other instructions will be more helpful at this time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users