Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My window 10 laptop will not boot after running a factory reset

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dyerigan

dyerigan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:22 AM

So my laptop has been buggy of late, very buggy.  It's been working on this new major update that just came out, but it's weird while booting it'll work on this major update for an hour or two they display the message 'restoring to previous settings'....then  a day later will start again and continue at the progress it had the day previous (if it stopped at like 30% the day before it'll resume there).   It last stopped at 75% 2 or 3 days and hasn't resumed since.  Any way, my laptop (toshiba) has been buggy awhile, and got even worst today like completely freezing, so i backed up all my important files and proceeded to a full reset (reset and don't save any files or aps, to be specific).   It took about an hour and half to do the reset but at the end of "the reset has been complete but we could not delete all of the files, you may consider running another reset (which I did not)" and it reboots.  It gets past the Toshiba loading screen with the swirling circle of dots then gets to the next black screen still with the same swirling dots which i assume is the point it's trying load windows and it stayed on that page for over 3 hours.....i figured something was going wrong as i doubt it should take that long.  So I rebooted again twice to try to pull up that windows recovery thing again with the reset function I used earlier and THAT does not pull up anymore.....I loaded bios and switched to default setting (I knew it wouldn't do anything but was worth a shot)....tried to get into recovery mode by tapping F11 and it won't even pull up naturally.   I'm at a complete loss right now I hope this didn't ruin my bad ass main computer.  Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:03 AM

• It would be very interesting to know, what did You want restore, if You said " It took about an hour and half to do the reset ". How You wanted to reset and what You wanted to be resetted?
  • Headline says "factory settings" - does Your computer already came with preinstalled current Windows 10 version? Or by default there was something else what was upgraded to Windows 10. These are absolutely different things.
  • Now, if You have backed up important data, You should clean up the computer and then make absolutely full new clean instal. Then is everything as it should be, all system is new and clean.

#3 dyerigan

dyerigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

1.  Not sure what you mean by the first part but I was just completely resetting everything, back to the factory default like when i first got it.

2.  No it originally had windows 8 and I upgraded to windows 10.

3.  Ya that's what i'm about to do though i'm worried about windows activation license

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

It difficult to tell you exactly what the problem is, myself would do everything empty and install the current Windows 10.

I've done that hundreds of times and there's no reason why it should not work.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

I think the issue you could have, is the factory reset may be attempting to reinstall Windows 8.

First thing you should do, is to go to the manufacture's support web page and get all the necessary Windows 10 drivers for your laptop. Then wipe, (not format) the drive with something like killdisk or whatever your favorite disk wipe software is, Then do a fresh install of 10. You do not need to worry about activation, just skip the part where it asks for the license and when you go on line when your finished Microsoft's servers will auto-activate you. You do not have to do anything, your Windows 10  license on your laptop is forever and M$ will activate for you

You should wipe the entire drive and remove any of the Windows 8 restore partitions so you do not run into this problem again

Edited by Joe C, 24 September 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

If you have properly activated Windows 10 online - then the activation will remain valid through OS reinstalls

If you have properly activated Windows 8 online - then that activation will remain valid through OS reinstalls

How are you planning to reinstall Windows?
If from a recovery partition on the computer, it may go to Windows 8

If from the W10 Reset function - it will likely go to W10

You can be sure that it goes to W10 by using the Media Creation Tool from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will install a clean copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.  If your system has other programs on it, you'll have to reinstall them individually.

More on a clean install (and it's use as a troubleshooting tool):

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Edited by usasma, 24 September 2017 - 08:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Dat1american

Dat1american

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

If it does not go into the windows installation ( windows 10) then select your in your bios the startup disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users