Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some laptop keys not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JamAli

JamAli

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Good day,

I have a Gigabyte unit bought Aug 1, 2017:

Graphics Card:               GTX 1050Ti (4GB)

Processor:                      Core i7-7700HQ

Memory (RAM):             16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Storage:                         256GB SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Model #:                        Sabre 17K-KB3

This happens occasionally. (5 times in last week):

When W10 starts it asks me for my pw - I sign in - no problems

. Laptop boots up - quickly as usual - no problems

. I bring up Chrome to type in address bar - the letters do not appear.

The Caps lock, Tab, Num lock keys work fine. But I can't type any letters or numbers into the address bar or in any software (e.g. microsoft word).

So I then restart the laptop and sometimes everything works again. Sometimes I just walk away out of frustration and when I get back - the keys are working.

As you can see, the unit is young. No drops, spills, damages, etc. Nothing. What's the cause and is it indicative of something worse to come?

Should I try the "power down, remove battery, hold power key for 60 secs, turn back on" thing I see elsewhere?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Should I try the "power down, remove battery, hold power key for 60 secs, turn back on" thing I see elsewhere?

Well, that's one trick that cures many problems and can do positively no harm, and if it doesn't fix your problem try deleting the keyboard drivers. This is not as drastic as it sounds since these are a basic low level feature of Windows and in the event of being uninstalled will automatically re-install on re-boot

In Win 10 probably the easiest way to get to 'Device manager' is to type 'device manager' into the search box. Other ways are through 'Settings' and 'Control panel'. Once yu get to 'Device manager' expand the entry for keyboards and you should see an entry something like 'HID keyboard devices'. Double click on this and the 'Properties' panel will open. Click on the 'Drivers' tab and select 'Uninstall'. Accept any warnings and go ahead and uninstall the drivers, then re-boot. If you have more than one entry below 'Keyboards' do this for all of them, then re-boot.

If this doesn't fix the problem I would go and have a word with your supplier since presumably the laptop is still under warranty.

Assuming this is still under warranty do NOT break any seals or open the case - this will almost certainly void any warranty.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

@Chris Cosgrave

Thanks for the reply.

I turned on the laptop to check for replies and sure enough - the keys were not working. I did as you mentioned and (as you can see) I got my keys back. I am hoping this will last beyond this one time. So I will update perhaps 3 days from now to see if the problem has recurred. I note your second step in case this goodness :-) does not hold.

Thanks again,

#4 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hi again,

It happened again. So I uninstalled the keyboard driver as instructed. (Mine said:  Standard PS/2 Keyboard). That did not fix the problem as the keys stopped working on the reboot. I should also mention there is a programme called Flexikey (provides keyboard background lighting). I have switched that to off. No effect. 

I am travelling with the laptop for school (for a year) and am unable to ship it for repairs to the original manufacturer.

Any further suggestions welcomed, and thanks for the help previously provided.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

This sounds like there is possibly a problem with the basic keyboard files. To repair these try running 'SFC /SCANOW'. To do this you need to run 'command.exe' as an administrator. Again, probably  the simplest way to get to this in Win 10 is to type 'cmd', 'command' or 'command.exe' into the search box (any and all commands to be typed without the ' '). This should bring up a return  of 'command.exe'. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator'. It is possible you may get this offered as an option,Win 8.1 offers this but I am not at home so can't check 10. But you need administrator rights.

You will get a black window with white text ending in a blinking underscore. Just type 'sfc/scannow' then press enter. Notice that there is a space between 'sfc' and  the '/', and the command is not case sensitive.. Let it run - depending on your system it can take up to an hour but don't interrupt it - and at the end you will get a report saying essentially one of three things -

1  No problems found

2  Problems found but fixed

3  Problems foound but NOT fixed

If 1 or 2, try the computer for a few days and see if the problem returns. If 3, post back !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Hi Chris,

I know you said to post back if to was option 3. But I am quite grateful for your help and wanted you to know that this was the result:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

In essence, option 2. (I didn't think you would want to see the log report).

Will let you know in a few days. Better than the seller (finally responded) response which was to essentially wipe and boot from Bios.

Thank you,

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

You are right - I don't want to see the CBS log !  I only know of three or four people on BC who can interpret them and I am not one of them.

I will keep my fingers crossed  for you, but you  can always post back if it happens again.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

Sigh. It happened again. So here is what the seller proposed:

Create a USB recovery drive via Gigabyte program SmartRecovery, back up your data, then reset the system via changing the BIOS boot sequence to use the USB recovery drive you created.
Setup the computer with your account but skip the wireless network setup until you can confirm the device manager shows no errors, then slowly test the machine stepwise through your personal installations

I am not enthused about this (especially when they noted it can be tricky) as it seems I will have to reload all my apps and data back unto the laptop. But now it seems like my only option.

What do you think? Anything else to try before this measure?

Thanks again,

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

that was obviously too much to hope for !  In which case try the DISM command, it attempts to repair the Windows image.

Again, you need to be in 'command.exe' as an administrator - see #5 - then type -

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

at the prompt. Again it is not case sensitive but note that there is a space in front of each forward slash '/'.  In case this doesn't work I will try to get a second opinion.

As for this bit aboout backing everything up and restoring the computer - that is an ultimate last chance cure. Yes it will cure almost every problem but the grief it causes !  I have a Win 7 laptop in which the hard drive just died, it took me a day to do the updates, all 189 of them.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

Do you still get dropouts using a USB keyboard? Some people have reported that pressing the Windows key + the space key brings key functions back.

If the above does not work and a reinstall still gives you problems I would strongly consider replacing it under warranty before the warranty runs out.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#11 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hi Chris and JohnC_21, 

The laptop seems to be holding steady. I will reserve the DISM if it misbehaves again. 

Thanks much.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

I will keep my fingers crossed for you but you will notice that both John and I believe you should claim this under warranty, and don't let yourself be put off by some seller saying 'This is what you do to fix it'. Not your problem - he/she or it sold you a new laptop - it's supposed to work and if it doesn't he is supposed to sort it or replace it with a working one.

I appreciate that it is a major inconvenience but surely somebody you know must have a laptop you could borrow. If you do return it copy all your own data off it and then delete your own data off it before you hand it back,

Chris Cosgrove

#13 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Okay. So sure enough it stopped again. 

I went ahead and restored the Bios (is that the proper terminology?).

I reinstalled my stuff.

Everything is working fine now. Some things working better!

There are a few things in device manager that says "No drivers are installed for this device." Company syas to head over to their website for the driver update or let Windows automatically pick it up and update. So I will do that soon.

Much respect Chris and JohnC_21.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

I still say you shouldn't have had to do this, but at least it is fixed.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users