Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded to Windows 10 and deeply regret it. Help please:

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

I upgraded my Dell laptop from Windows 7 to 10 and it's been a nightmare. Every time I log in, as soon as the upgrade completed, it restarts itself. It's been doing it in a loop. The only way I can keep it from either restarting itself or freezing totally with the cursor vanishing. Is to run it in Safe Mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hi, if it works in safe mode, then you should run a clean boot. Read the instructions carefully, let us know how you get on:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#3 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

I'll check it out and report back. Thx.

#4 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

Hi, if it works in safe mode, then you should run a clean boot. Read the instructions carefully, let us know how you get on:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I got it to run and it seems to be working. It feels sluggish compared to Windows 7. Anyway, thanks so much for the quick reply and the help.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

In step 7 you restarted the computer, the computer will start normally.  If the problem is no longer occurring there is a third party service which is causing this.

I'm guessing that there was no problem after the restart?  Since there was no problems after the restart I'm also guessing that you did not continue to "What is next when I have a clean boot environment?"  This part is where you go through the process of elimination to find the service causing this problem.  Use the instructions below to do this.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users