Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't boot, black screen with blinking underscore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mosst

Mosst

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

So my pc stopped working on Monday I've spent the past couple of days trying to figure out how to fix it but haven't found anyone else that's having the same issue as me. Monday morning I booted up my pc and was got a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left. I have my most important stuff already backed up so that's not an issue.

​My problem comes from not being able to use most of the "commands" in the startup menu. So I can't follow other threads and fix my problem.
FFz8Mm6.jpg

Continue Startup, Diagnostics, Boot Menu and network boot all lead to the same black screen with the blinking underscore at the top left corner. Diagnostics gives me another option "dps self- test" It can detect my hardrive and the tests said that everything was fine.Utilities lets me set the time and date and "flash system rom" though I can't actually scroll down to that second option. I also can't scroll down to the "Run UEFI Application..." Pressing ctrl + s and F10 take me to computer setup though i'm not sure what I can do with that.

​My computer specs are

​hp Compaq 6200 pro sff pc
​Geforce 610
​Intel ® Core ™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10ghz
​Running windows 10 though it originally ran windows 7
​Satao 250 GB, Hitachi

​I usually have a second hardrive for my steam library but I've disconnected that, as well as everything else other then my mouse, keyboard and monitors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

At the black screen what happens when you press ctrl-alt-del?

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following commands will repair Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and BCD Store.

Bootrec /FixMbr

Bootrec  /FixBoot

Bootrec  /RebuildBcd

Posted Image

#4 Mosst

Mosst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

At the black screen what happens when you press ctrl-alt-del?

It restarts the pc.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following commands will repair Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and BCD Store.

Bootrec /FixMbr

Bootrec  /FixBoot

Bootrec  /RebuildBcd

Did this and it fixed it all has loaded normally as if nothing ever happened. Any idea why this happened in the first place?

Thanks for your help

Edited by Mosst, 23 September 2017 - 05:35 AM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

I don't have idea sorry.

Posted Image

#6 Mosst

Mosst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

So shortly after fixing this everything was working normally again so I shut it down and put the other hardrive back in and now i'm stuck in a "preparing automatic repair" loop. I have tried repeating the bootrec with both hardrives in and with just the first one in an i'm still stuck in the loop. Will update later if I find a fix.

Also now when I try to boot from the usb I made today I get this error.
SMr6THJ.jpg

Edited by Mosst, 23 September 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Have you executed bootrec /rebuildbcd command?

"The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2004518/error-message-when-you-start-windows-7-the-windows-boot-configuration

Posted Image

#8 Mosst

Mosst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

Alright I fixed the "Recovery Your pc/device needs to be repaired" by simply formatting my usb stick and putting the files back onto it.

Also yes I did that it said it had found 1 windows installation but when it asked me if I wanted to add the installation to the boot list by typing y or yes I just go the error "The requested system device cannot be found"  but the first time I did this I got the same error and everything loaded fine, It's only when I put my second hardrive back in that I started to get the "preparing automatic repair" loop problem.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

I don't know how second HDD can cause Windows OS not to boot.

Posted Image

#10 Mosst

Mosst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

I don't know how second HDD can cause Windows OS not to boot.

It won't even boot with just one hardrive in now.

Alright I've fixed it now I followed this tutorial 

Edited by Mosst, 23 September 2017 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users