Recently I've been getting frequent freezes on my laptop, at least 3-4 times a day. Each freeze lasts for as short as 5min to as long as an hour (before I hard reset). During the freeze in task manager the disk usage would be 100, while r/w speed is 0.
- CPU/GPU temperature is normal according to SpeedFan during before the freeze
- Has nothing to do with running graphic or CPU intensive programs as sometimes all I have open is Chrome
- Oddly enough freezes rarely if ever happen while running intensive programs like games, it's mostly while computer is idle
- Lenovo Ideapad
- Windows 10
- Intel HD/Nvidia GeForce
- 8GB RAM
- Graphic drivers are up to date
- Used Intel Diagnostics tool, didn't find any available updates
- Lenovo does not provide driver updates for this model for Windows 10
Is this a hardware (probably hard drive) issue?
- SFC /scannow, no errors
- AV scan with Windows Defender and Avast, no issues
- Clearing trash bin and temp folder in C:, drives have lots of space
- Disk check via drive properties -> tools -> check disk, no issues
- Disable Superfetch/prefetch services
- CMD chkdsk /f /r, running it right now on restart
- Clean boot by disabling all non-Microsoft services, this will take effect once I'm done startup chkdsk
- Memory check, msdsched.exe (is this necessary?)
- BIOS update (not sure how to check if I need an update, or if this is even necessary)
Edited by Pohalan, 22 September 2017 - 08:05 PM.