Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corruption (?) issue that comes back even after 'fix'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Back in July my version of Windows 10 got corrupted somehow (posted about it here, I think, ended up having to get it reinstalled).  Got it back quickly, worked well for about 2 months...then, about two weeks ago, it started acting up in the same way - Task Host Window at shutdown, Microsoft/Windows programs (Word, etc) stopped working, search was iffy, so on.  Obviously I wasn't too happy about the prospect of having to get it reinstalled again, and I didn't know what was causing 10 to screw up again.  A few days later I was still trying to get to the bottom of the issue.  I had the file explorer open, it got stuck, and I went to Task Manager and shut down Windows Explorer.  I restarted and everything went back to normal.  I thought I was in the clear.  Flash forward to this past Wednesday, and the issue happened again.  I did the same thing (shut down Windows Explorer, restarted) and I was back to normal...again.  It didn't go as smoothly this time - I got a black screen following the startup window after trying to restart twice and I got something about a disk check - but it knocked that off and went through the disk check smoothly enough. Clearly something doesn't want to be fixed for good. 

I wonder if this has something to do with my VPN (Private Internet Access).  When the first corruption (or whatever it was) happened 2 weeks ago, I would still be connected to the VPN server but I wouldn't have internet access unless I disconnected.  In addition, the icon changed a day or so before the issue started up (going from an icon of a computer screen, which has always been the default icon for me whenever I've used it) to the normal internet icon.  The IP addresses also differ, though they both come from Toronto (server location).  I honestly don't know and for all I know it's completely irrelevant, or the issues with it are just symptoms of whatever's going on with the OS.  I suppose I could go to PIA's support forums or email their customer support, but I'd like to see if the problem is unrelated to the VPN or not.  I don't want to delete the VPN as of now, however.  If I can't get this resolved and/or it keeps cropping up, I want to keep the program on when I send it off for repairs so the person who fixes it can check it out and see if it's causing it, or if it's something that will happen again in the future.

So, that's that.  As of right now it's cooperating and working well (knock on wood) but I don't know how long that's going to go for.  I'd really like to see if I can get to the root of this problem for when/if it shows up again.  Obviously I'm far from a computer expert but I like to think I have some knowledge about how these things work...and this is just mindboggling.  I don't think updates have anything to do with whatever's going on here.  It updated on Friday (got fixed the prior Sunday) and from everything I can tell, those at least went off without a hitch. 

As always, thanks for any help that can be provided.  I'm just at a loss with this.  At least, with prior issues there's been something concrete or easily identifiable, but this is ridiculous.  It's a new computer that does run well even with all this nonsense going on and I really don't think there's anything wrong with it physically, so....

List of issues that cropped up each time this happened:

• Windows/Microsoft programs (Word, WMP, etc) didn't load.
  • Search function would be spotty at best.
  • TeamViewer wouldn't connect even with a working connection.
  • Network icon disappears, though connection remains unaffected.
  • VPN would be connected but the internet connection would be down unless VPN was disconnected.
  • Task Host Window (and sometimes TeamViewer) popups at shutdown requiring manual shutdown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

A couple of things you can check. Run the short and long generic tests on your HDD using Seatools for Windows.

Run a memory test. Run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

If the computer is a Dell you can access System Diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot. For HP tap Esc.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hi, yes please follow the advice from John. You mention reinstall, was this a clean fresh install or was it a reset (keep data and programs and reinstall windows)?

We could do with more info about your system, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy all the text below and paste into the cmd prompt window:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, notepad will open, please use the ATTACH option to add this notepad output to your next reply.

#4 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

yeah, sorry about not posting more specific info about my laptop.  Knew I forgot something....

As far as I can tell it was a full reinstall.  Given how messed up it was when I sent it off that seemed like the only option.

system info attached.  edit: well, saying that was rather redundant.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd.txt   39.01KB   3 downloads

Edited by achevy, 23 September 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#5 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

right, so I ran both tests from SeaTools.  Both passed, so I would suppose that's a positive :P

Are there any other memory tests beyond the memtest one?  I can use that one but if there are some that seem...easier (I know, the memtest is probably not that difficult to figure out, but still) and have the same level of effectiveness I wouldn't mind that.

Attached Files

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

Hi, well the cmd I had you run accurately reads the WMI, it shows for system files the owner is N\A should be NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM .

Why I asked, did you do a fresh clean install? I suspect not, you have issues and the best way is to reinstall windows with a formatted HDD and a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users