Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Windows XP Pro ... 'R' Repair won't work ... Have Disk

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,500 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

I have fixed this issue hundreds of times in XP Home by doing what I suggested.

If XP Pro has the system file in the \windows\repair folder it should work as well.

See if the system file is in the \windows\repair folder while in the recovery console.

If it is then In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to next step. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type ren software software.bak (instead of ren system system.bak ), and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

Reboot

Simple as that, problem solved.

In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

I appreciate all of the advice but you have to realize that I can do almost nothing at these public computers.

I can't run an .exe

In many cases I can't open a ZIP file.

When I try to run portable anything from my USB drive I hit the Windows Security screen.

I can't extract ZIP files.

I can't look at ISO files.

I don't know what to do? Jesus I've tried everything. I've downloaded everything portable that I could get my hands on. I can't do anything on these friggin' public computers.

So when anyone advises me that the instructions are plain, just follow them, I try and it doesn't work can't, do you understand?

I can't create a bootable disk because the pos utility used won't boot. I've now tried 4 online extractors: they get to within a few kb and then lock with a Windows Administrator prompt.

I am so bleep sick of this you have no idea. 

Edited by semicodin, 13 October 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#33 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

I am assuming the Recovery Console I linked to in my first reply did not boot, correct? I think at this point if you cannot run any program and continually burn coasters you may be able to pull any data you need by removing the drive and attaching it to a USB adapter you can attach at the library. The adapter would be plug and play and you would be able to transfer you data to a USB flash drive if the computer at the library has available USB ports.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

Is there a anybody you know with a computer that can burn the Hirens iso for you?

#34 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

I have fixed this issue hundreds of times in XP Home by doing what I suggested.

If XP Pro has the system file in the \windows\repair folder it should work as well.

See if the system file is in the \windows\repair folder while in the recovery console.

If it is then In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , <SNIP>

So I just . . . magically turn on the computer and start typing.

And who said computing was difficult to learn.

#35 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

Is there a anybody you know with a computer that can burn the Hirens iso for you?

John, at this point I think we can all rule out any of the following options:

Completing anything useful at the library: I can download.  That's it.

I need any of the following utilities that can be run at DOS level:

EXPLORE drive, directory & file managers

RUN capability

UNZIP capability

BURN capability

BURN BOOTABLE capability

Edited by semicodin, 14 October 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#36 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

From your Post #7 you stated you had an older UBCD disk. Does this boot?

#37 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,500 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

This issue is a corrupt registry hive.

I have fixed this hundreds of times in XP home

As I stated, I do not recall if the \windows\repair folder exists in XP pro as it is different from XP home

If you boot to the recovery console off the XP cd you that you have you can check to see if the\windows\repair folder is there and if the system file is present

If it is then copy the system file to \windows\system32\config folder and reboot.

To do that boot to the recovery console and type cd repair from the C:\windows> folder and hit enter

If it is there the prompt will now say C:\windows\repair>

Type dir system and hit enter

If the system file is there you will see one file

If the system file is in \windows\repair then type

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

You should be prompted to overwrite the file

Do so and reboot

Issue solved, hopefully

If the \windows\repair folder does not exist in XP pro your only recourse is to reload the system

In the beginning there was the command line.

#38 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

@Eyesee, I am trying to determine if the OP has any bootable media. I linked to the recovery console iso and also the OP stated they have an old UBCD boot disk. If System Restore was enabled it's possible to pull the System Hive from a Restore Point. The registry hives in the repair folder are placed there during the initial install. If one of the other hives is corrupted such as Software it's best to try and pull it from the latest restore point if available.

http://j.barrettcoats.com/blog/2013/02/18/windows-xp-repairing-registry-hives-from-a-system-restore-point/

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2017 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users