Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Partitioning error: How do I recover my files?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lemontree1

Lemontree1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Mod Edit. Split from: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614150/cant-format-ssd-as-gpt-partition-when-installing-windows-10/ ~Al1000

I need some help here guys as I am on the other side of the story. i was trying to switch from parallels to a bootcamp setup on my MacBook and decided to create a partition and install win10 using bootcamp. followed all the instruction and then restarted mac so that to install windows. unfortunately i got an error that the sed disk partition cannot be used to install win10 as it is MBR etc..so i searched around and applied what you suggest above believing though that the steps where applying to the partition and not the whole disk! 

so now, i lost everything and have no backup and want some help on how to recover my data. the OSX partition had many personal docs and i need them . the last step was to convert from mbr to gpt and the previous one to clean ...can i undo this ? or at least how can i recover my files?

thank you in advance and excuse me for the interruption but it is relevant to what you discuss and i thought some of you might be able to help.

Edited by Al1000, 22 September 2017 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

You can't undo what you did. I would attach the drive to a Windows computer via a USB flash drive and run Testdisk for Windows. Unzip the folder on your Windows desktop. I'm not sure how Testdisk will see the disk as it was a Mac. Do a Quick Search and look for any partitions it finds. Highlight each and then press the "P" key.

If Quick Search finds no files then use Deeper Search which will take a long time. After recovering your data, if possible, testdisk may be able to write a new partition table but because of the Mac issue I don't know if testdisk can do it. 

Your files will be recovered to the unzipped Testdisk folder. Your recovery drive needs to have more free space then what you are trying to recover otherwise attach a USB external, copy the Testdisk folder to it and run the program from the external drive. 

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

I requested that your post and my response be split to a new thread to avoid confusion.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 September 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

I don't believe that you followed all of the directions because one of the most important directions reads;

Back up all data first!!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

@RockyB #3  Not an entirely helpful comment.

@Lemontree1 #1

First of all - welcome to BC !

Next, the priority is your data. I strongly suggest that you do not do anything else in the way of changing partitions of formats until you have exhausted non-destructive ways of attempting to recover your data.

I suggest that you create a 'live' linux installation disc, that is one that boots itself and will run Linux entirely in RAM. This will enable you to power up your computer and see if you can find any of your files then copy them to an external drive. I don't know that this technique will work on OSX but it should since it is a distant fork of the Linux kernel, it certainly does on Windows which is a completely different OS. In fact it is a very valuable technique.

Try Linux Mint -  https://linuxmint.com/download.php

I would suggest the XFCE version as it is the lightest on resources. The file you download will be an ISO type file and needs converting to the installation files. If you have access to a computer with an optical drive you can create a DVD or you can convert it to a bootable USB stick. If you have access to a Windows computer running Win 7 or later you can burn to a DVD with the 'Burn to disc' command in Windows (File) Explorer or use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick.

Then you boot either from the DVD or the USB. While it is booting do NOT click on the 'Install Mint' button that appears, just let it boot to the desktop then you can mount your hard drive in the file manager and see if any of your files are still there. If they are, it is a straightforward matter to copy them to an extrnal drive.

NOTE:-  Since this topic involves a MacBook and originally OSX I am moving it to the Applle OSX section.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Lemontree1

Lemontree1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thank you for your comments and support @Chris Cosgrove and @JohnC_21!

Please allow me to describe the current setup as it might shed some light. I have a MacBook that carries 2 HDDs, the factory one and the SSD. Up until installing the SSD I was running OSX and Win7 via Parallels. once i installed the SSD, I did a clean install of the OSX and Win10 but also kept the data and os on the old hdd. still all the work for the past 2-3 months was performed on the SSD and unfortunately many of the files and photo backup from my iPhone went to this one over the summer. 

JohnC_21: I try to figure out what to do with test disk. i cleaned up an old 1gb My book external drive and want to use it but i am not sure how to do what you suggest and if it helps.

Chris, I installed the mint version using parallels but when I login it does not see the sdd at all. 

Now, I am on the old hdd - and view the empty :( ssd in OSX. I am careful not to write any new data on the disk but i cannot figure out what to do in order to get my personal files back. i got an app named Disk Drill but it does not really help with this issue. 

any help would be appreciated. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Can you attach the SSD to a Windows computer via a USB adapter or enclosure? 

#7 Lemontree1

Lemontree1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

John, if it has any chance to recover my data i will do so. I will go and buy an adapter or enclosure tomorrow and do it.

i know perform a deep search with test disk on mac and it returns read errors. ?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

You can use a live linux disk to accomplish the same thing. I would download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD. 

Note: Click the drive icon and not the mirror link for downloading the iso. If the computer supports booting from a USB flash drive use the iso with Unetbootin for MAC to create a bootable USB flash drive of UBCD.

Boot and at the menu screen select Parted Magic.

At the Parted Magic desktop attach your 1tb external drive. See this guide on mounting your drives in Parted Magic. Create a folder on your 1TB drive called something like Recovery. Open this folder by double clicking. In the File Manager menu bar select File > Terminal. In Terminal type testdisk all in lower case. This will start testdisk.

Follow the step by step guide. Do a Quick Search first. If partitions are found then highlight each and press the "P" key. If you see your files press lower case "a" to select everything for ":" for only the files/directories you wish recovered. Press "C" to copy and "C" to confirm. The files will be recovered to the folder on your 1TB drive.

If you do not find any partitions using Quick Search press enter after Quick Search to start a Deeper Search. This will take awhile. If partitions are found then do the same procedure as I posted above. If no partitions are found on a deeper search post back.

Edit: If you do not go with linux you can purchase a USB adapter similar to this. You may be able to find one local. Again, create a directory in the 1TB drive. Unzip the Testdisk file to the folder. The recovery if any will default to the Testdisk folder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 September 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

A Windows computer won't recognize the Mac disk format -- your only option would be to reformat it.

If you can, install the Apple Disk Utility tool on a USB drive, and boot the Mac from it. You will need to do this from a working Mac.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/macos-sierra-usb-installer/

You can then try running the Disk Repair tool.

https://blog.macsales.com/38008-rocket-yard-guide-using-macos-sierra-disk-utility-to-verify-or-repair-disks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users