Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics, sound don't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

My HDD died so I ended up getting a new one and installing windows. The graphics and sound were fine before that.

It was a windows 8.1 64 bit install, the same kind that came with my laptop, a toshiba satelline s50a-d.

Windows update does seem to be working at the moment and I'm downloading and Installing the updates but I expect that it will croak soon. I've tried the windows update troubleshooter in the past, but it never helped.

The sound has not been working since I installed windows. It might be a hardware problem, I don't know. But it doesn't work even when I put headphones in the 3.5mm jack. The sounds do show in the volume mixer, it's just there's no actual sound.

I just mentioned these problems because they may be related, but what I actually want to fix is my graphics drivers. I have an AMD Radeon 8610G dual graphics card. I downloaded and installed the driver for it, which is AMD's legacy driver catalyst 15.7.1. I also installed a Toshiba display utility just in case. In the device manager, there is an 'unknown device' and a 'Video controller' with exclamation marks and a message saying that they do not have their drivers installed. I'm sure the video controller has something to do with my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Where did you get your drivers from ?  This is the Toshiba support page for drivers for your model with a 64 bit OS -

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=8D047177S&osId=38

I think you will need this one - Toshiba Display Utility Posted Date: 2017-03-09 | Version: 1.1.9.0 | Size: 40.77M  

And this one should contain your audio drivers - Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility Posted Date: 2016-09-21 | Version: 9.4.0.1026 | Size: 7.54M

If you have a 32 bit OS you will need to change the OS type at the top of the page.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 September 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the response. That's the same file I mentioned in the OP but didn't test it (Mainly because I didn't get any change in the devices app). I thought I'd try to hit it with different approaches at once. I also did windows update and also I hadn't restarted my computer since installing the AMD graphics driver.  Everything seems to be working fine now.

It would be nice to have sound as well, but not a big deal.

never mind, sound works too!

Edited by accidentally, 22 September 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Well, there you go !  Glad it's sorted.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users