Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying used scanners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 solera

solera

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

I want to buy a dedicated scanner to get away from multifunction printer units, since one failure often requires replacing the whole thing. The current HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 has a really moody ADF, and scans are slow over the network/ethernet. However dedicated scanners are incredibly expensive, so I'm looking at the used market. 

In particular, I'm concerned about reliability (i.e. jams? misfeeds? pickup rollers failing soon?), and OS support (software/drivers for Windows 7/10/+ if the scanner is a decade old). The use case is for a small home office, so the workload is just occasional letter and legal size batches of scans. I'd like it to be reliable, simple, and not require too much technical assistance/troubleshooting from me. ;)

For example which of these two would be better?

HP Scanjet N8460:

Pros:

- high end professional model

- ultrasonic misfeed detection

- 100 sheet ADF

- 35 ppm

- includes a flatbed

Cons:

- USB only

- more than a decade old

- replacement parts (i.e. pickup rollers) might be hard/impossible to find and expensive

- lack of support for newer OS?

Brother ADS-1000W

Pros:

- wifi/network connectivity

- relatively new

- compact

- 20 sheet ADF

- 16 ppm

Cons:

- entry level model

- no advanced feed mechanism, ultrasonic misfeed detection, etc

I'd appreciate if people with experience with scanners would share their insights. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

I know from experience that HP has no interest in updating their drivers for the latest OS.  Are Windows 10 drivers even available for that scanner?  That's where I would start, looking for scanners that support Windows 10.

I think for the cost you would probably be better off buying another all in one, especially of scanning isn't something you do very often.  You could probably get a cheap all in one with the scanner features you want and call it your dedicated scanner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

I like standalones and I have a bias for Canon, based on my experiences.  I would not restrict myself to either of your chosen two alternatives.

Not sure how USB connectivity can be a "con", that's pretty much the standard with the passing of time.

Louis

...and I would buy new, not used, for no particularly reason that I like to know the history of the device as I develop my mental rating of it.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#4 solera

solera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Those two models are just examples that I happened to find listed on buy/sell sites; I'm certainly not limiting myself to those.

Are Windows 10 drivers even available for that scanner?

I don't currently have computers running Windows 10, but that HP scanner does not provide (even basic) drivers for more than Windows 7, which raises concerns for the future. That's a serious point against it.

As for multifunctions, that's what I've had for a while, but each time something breaks down, whether an ADF, or print heads, etc and forces replacing everything else. I find this wasteful and adding unnecessary cost in the long run. Plus, although usually "good enough," each component (printer, scanner) is often not as good as a standalone unit.

I like standalones and I have a bias for Canon, based on my experiences.  I would not restrict myself to either of your chosen two alternatives.

Not sure how USB connectivity can be a "con", that's pretty much the standard with the passing of time.

Louis

...and I would buy new, not used, for no particularly reason that I like to know the history of the device as I develop my mental rating of it.

"USB only" is a con only in that it does not also have network connectivity. While not absolutely necessary, I like network devices so that others can use them too, and also so they don't needlessly use up USB ports on computers. However, it seems that the scan speed is sometimes reduced if not using USB.

The Cannon DR-C225W looks interesting, but expensive...

I also read great reviews of the Fujitsu IX500 ScanSnap, but again expensive. And its lack of TWAIN and limited wifi/networking ability are drawbacks.

There are some used units for sale that are almost new, plus in my experience electronics are pretty reliable, so I have put aside previous aversions to used items. However, I'm not sure about scanner reliability, especially ADFs that often have problems.

Mainly, I'd like to know what to look for, and watch out for, in a scanner to be able to pick out a good unit when one becomes available on buy/sell sites.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Understood :).

There are only so many computer parts or devices which I would purchase used.  "Used" is not the same thing as "refurbished" and I have no problem with purchasing/buying refurbs.  I've purchased used RAM from a reliable source who upgraded his system...every other component which I've ever had was purchased new...for the reason previously stated.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but others here have more experience, knowledge...let's see what they have to say.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

After seeing so many combo printer/scanners have one or the other fail I'm disinclined to use a combo.  Another consideration is the price of replacement ink cartridges, I've found it cheaper to purchase a new printer than purchasing the after market cartridges.  This is another reason I don't use combos.

I'm currently using a Canon LiDE 110 and am very pleased with it.  This has now been replaced with the LiDE 120.  This sells for $62.18 at Amazon.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 solera

solera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

After seeing so many combo printer/scanners have one or the other fail I'm disinclined to use a combo.  

Precisely. As for consumables, I've found some third party cartridges provide good quality at much lower prices. Also, the cost per page quoted by manufacturers typically includes ink/toner/drums.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I should have made clear that I'm looking for a scanner with an ADF, not just a flatbed. The intended purpose is for business documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users