Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!! BSOD, stuck in loop, all attempts to reset fail

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sturgcl1

sturgcl1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hi All,

Im really sorry but I don't have my Laptop Spec, mainly due to the fact I cant get into anything to get anything, but also as its currently sat on dining room table whilst im at work! So here is my problem, happy to give more info if you ask/tell me how:

I have a Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. Its less that 2 yrs old. Its just started getting Blue Screen on start up, says it has to restart which it does, then goes through the diagnostics on start-up, tries to fix issues and then comes up with an error saying that the PC didn't start properly please restart. At this point it lets me go into the advanced options. Im quite happy to loose the entire contents on the pc, that doesn't worry me, but I cant reset to a previous point, despite having set this up and updating regularly, it fails. I cant reset the PC back to factory settings, choosing whether to loose or save files, both options fail. I cant even boot into safe mode, it fails.
The only option I can find that I slightly know what im doing (having googled!) is to go into command prompt and run sfc /scannow this also send an error message! When I do chkdsk c: /r /x it runs through sections 1-4 quite nicely and finds no issues, however its now got to section 5, discovered a mahooosive amount of files, and is currently doing its thing Very very slowly! I set this running over 48h ago... Its was still running this morning and only 15% of the way through! Im not at work googling any other possible options to try this weekend, so any help would be VERY much appreciated. I don't really know what im doing, I can find my way around a PC, know a few self learnt basics that ive googled, but otherwise clueless!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

Try to run the Seagate Seatools for DOS diagnostics (instructions on this page:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html )

If the system has UEFI, it won't boot from the disk/drive unless you disable Secure Boot and enable CSM/Legacy mode.
Post back if you have troubles with it and we'll see what else we can do.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thank you so much, I will take a look when I get home and give it a go.  Much appreciated.

#4 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Not working, I'm getting an option in boot option menu for EFI PXE NETWORK and that's all I can select, when I try it I get an error as attached.

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

If the only option is PXE - then the boot drive/Windows is missing.
Most likely it's a bad hard drive.

Try removing the hard drive (use good anti-static precautions when doing so - remove the plug and the battery and ground yourself).
Then try and see if you can get any boot options other than PXE.

Beyond that, try posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for more expert assistance:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

The laptop has a SSD & a HDD, would that make any difference to anything? I've no clue about taking laptops apart, think this is way beyond my expertise. Will take to someone with a bit more know how I think! Thanks for your help, at least I know I tried everything.

#7 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

I'm not sure I'm doing the ISO disk correctly, the pc comes up with checking media & it flashes Fail several times. I've tried without any disk in at all & it does the same thing!

So I saved the ISO image to my desktop, on another pc, right click and burn to disk. When it's finished the disk contains a whole load of files, not the ISO image. Is that what it's supposed to do??

When I ran list of drives in Dos, it lists them all there and healthy??

Really hoping it's my incompetence & not a broken hard drive!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

Have you posted over in the Internal Hardware forums for more expert assistance there?

There aren't any decent tests for SSD's - the only sure test is to try another drive (either an SSD or an HDD) to see if that fixes the problem.

What's the exact make and model of your laptop?  That'll help us determine if you can get to the drives easily or not.

As the CD/DVD has a bunch of files and not just the ISO file - it's most likely that you've done this correctly.

To test the CD/DVD you made with the ISO file, try it on a computer that came with Windows 7.
If it boots there, then it's working correctly.

If you can't find one that boots from Windows 7, then you'll have to:
- disable SecureBoot, and

- enable CSM/Legacy mode

Both are in the system's UEFI.

We can usually provide more info on this once we know the exact make and model of your system.

In most Lenovo's you can use this link:  http://social.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-enter-the-bios-setup-utility-or-boot-menu-with-windows-8-1

Once in the Setup utility, you'll have to:

- locate the key that'll reset the system to it's defaults (so you can recover in case of an error)

- locate and disable the SecureBoot function

- locate and enable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy mode

- save the settings and reboot to the DVD (by accessing the Boot Menu).

BUT - see message 2 of this topic:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/P510-Cannot-enable-CSM-even-after-Secure-Boot-is-disabled/td-p/3385801

It talks about setting "OS Optimized Defaults" to disabled before trying to access CSM mode.

#9 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Ok, so laptop is windows 10 so is this why it's not booting the CD? Do I need to disable something first?

Problem now is that when I load the laptop up without any disk, it used to have BSOD, then restart & offer advanced settings (where I could get in to shut things down) but now it just just asks for the media. Can I get back to the advanced settings now or have I lost this?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM systems came with UEFI instead of BIOS

UEFI includes SecureBoot and CSM/Legacy mode.

Which model of Lenovo do you have?  Is it a Yoga?  A Y700?  Something else?

In most Lenovo's you can use this link:  http://social.lenovo.com/en/blog/how-to-enter-the-bios-setup-utility-or-boot-menu-with-windows-8-1

Once in the Setup utility, you'll have to:

- locate the key that'll reset the system to it's defaults (so you can recover in case of an error)

- locate and disable the SecureBoot function

- locate and enable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy mode

- save the settings and reboot to the DVD (by accessing the Boot Menu).

BUT - see message 2 of this topic:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/P510-Cannot-enable-CSM-even-after-Secure-Boot-is-disabled/td-p/3385801

It talks about setting "OS Optimized Defaults" to disabled before trying to access CSM mode.

#11 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

OK so I have a Lenovo Ideapad 305.

This laptop has a button like a tiny reset thing on the outside which you press to get into the advanced menus on startup, but its not working anymore!

I went onto the lenovo website and was looking around and stumbled across a download for the Lenovo Diagnostics GUI USB bootable tool.  I saved it straight to a USB stick and tried this on boot and it actually worked! yay!  its running the diagnostics check as I speak, been going for several hours now, but every section so far is showing as passed! Still got a way to go but will post finished result when its done.

#12 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

So the diagnostics failed on a few bits, I have the report but for some reason I can't remember how to post pictures on here, did it easily with the last screen shots but no attachment option now?? Think I've been staring at computer too long!

So the dodgy part of the test reads as follows:

smart status - PASSED
smart short self-test - FAILED. Error detected
Drive self-test - FAILED. Error detected
Random seek test - FAILED
Funnel seek test - FAILED
Target read test - PASSED

Then there was an option to scan & recover bad sectors which I started, using the scan & fix option. It's scanned 783 sectors so far & found 784 faults (clever that!). There are 1023 sectors in total. This is the 2nd attempt at running this as got stuck last time after scanning all 1023 all of which had faults. Think it then had a nervous breakdown & jammed itself up! I'm going to leave it running overnight, but suspect this is the same S the chkdsk /r /x which went for 48h to get to 15% before I gave up & pulled the plug!

Think it's time to get a new laptop!!! Sure my electricity bill trying to fix this will cost more than it's worth!

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

When the test repairs sectors, it wipes what's on that sector.

If it fixes sectors with the OS on it - then it's not gonna work the next time you try to boot it.

If it fixes sectors with data on it - your data will be gone

If it fixes sectors with other programs - those programs will probably not work

And finally, if it fixes sectors with nothing on it - then you won't notice anything

I suspect that it's getting hung is a symptom of the bad hard drive.

And, when we've done this at work, we find that the problems often come back after a short while (in most cases)

Because of that, we recommend hard drive replacement when this happens.

As this system has both an SSD and an HDD, you may want to test the system without the HDD and see if that works for you.

If it does, then you can assume that there's no problem with the SSD and go ahead and replace the HDD.

Check this video out: 

By 1:30 in the video it shows the HDD (and, I think, the SSD)

Edited by usasma, 26 September 2017 - 06:14 AM.

#14 sturgcl1

sturgcl1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks ever so much for your help.  The laptop really isn't worth replacing HDD and the effort involved.  I did discover I could get a recover disk from Lenovo, but they want £41 which I'm not spending on the chance that would work.  RIP laptop, time to go get a new one.

Thanks all.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

FYI - you can get Windows 10 recovery disks from Microsoft (they don't include the extra Lenovo software) for free using the Media Creation Tool:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users