Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:29 AM

Reading through a list of what CCleaner tidies up; Internet Explorer is mentioned but Microsoft's new browser, Edge is not.

Should I assume that any junk files associated with the Edge browser will not be cleaned up?

Also, if I use the registry part of CCleaner; if there were some left-over reg files from uninstalling a virus program, would CCleaner by likely to catch and remove them?

Thanks

Pavilion p6540y, AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core.  Windows 10 Home.

​Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

Also, if I use the registry part of CCleaner; if there were some left-over reg files from uninstalling a virus program, would CCleaner by likely to catch and remove them?

do not use the registry cleaner (or any registry cleaner), it will do more harm then good

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

CCleaner can now clean Microsoft Edge and IE12 browsers

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing unused, temporary, junk and privacy related files (cache and cookies) for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Opera, Microsoft Edge, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. However, CCleaner's registry feature is and requires a separate user action from the Cleaner so it cannot be used at the same time.

In the past, AV Comparatives said this about registry cleaning software.

Some "classic clean-up software" such as "Ccleaner" are classified as "Useless" in this database because the Windows registry does not need any maintenance except if you are victim of a malware infection and because tweaking the windows registery does not speed up a computer at all. It does not mean that Cleaner and similar tools are not good for sweeping your harddrive and help to keep your privacy. Registry cleaners have been become social engineering products (e.g. Iobit Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) and paying for this particular function is just a waste of money

In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Okay. Thanks for the info guys!! How to begin to learn about the registry?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,858 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Okay. Thanks for the info guys!! How to begin to learn about the registry?

I say the following without a trace of sarcasm or snark with regard to the registry:   Don't bother to delve into it with any depth.

I've been in this business for decades now and have yet to encounter a situation where the registry was the key to fixing typical issues.   Now, mind you, there are registry edits that can be helpful for very specific customizations, but if you're interested in those you are better off to ask in the correct Windows forum and if a registry edit is required then someone can walk you through how and why and/or supply you with the file that does the edit.

As far as I'm concerned (even for myself) the registry simply doesn't exist in terms of being fiddled with "to learn more."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,956 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable.

Information stored in the Registry is divided into several predefined sections called "hives". A  registry hive is a top level registry key predefined by the Windows system to store registry keys for specific objectives. The Registry has a hierarchal structure, like the directories on your hard disk. Each branch (denoted by a folder icon in the Windows Registry Editor) is called a Key and each key can contain other keys and Values. Each value contains the actual information stored in the Registry. There are three Common Registry data types: String, Binary, and DWORD. There are six main branches (subtrees) in the Registry to include one hidden branch, each containing a specific portion of the information stored in the Registry.

Important!!! Always Create a New Restore Point and back up the registry before making any changes. Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.

For a more detailed explanation, please refer to the following articles.

Beginners Guides:

#7 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Mucho thanks for all the info, guys!

One more quick question: I'm going to start using ERUNT. Is it safe - or even necessary - to use it's companion NTREGOPT?

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Erunt is excellent for XP, tweaks needed for Vista, more needed for 7 and since you mention edge, best forgotten for 10. Re: NTREGOPT (Lars Hederer bundled that for some reason) not necessary at all in my opinion. There's a similar utility for you, but forgive me for not remembering the name/download site at this time. Well known, someone will probably post it.

Memory's working it seems, an earlier thread here:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650437/can-erunt-be-used-on-windows-10/

Edited by r.a.d., 24 September 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,956 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

ERUNT or ERUNTgui is an excellent free tool for older operating systems that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Important Note! The ERUNT and NTREGOPT FAQs advise these programs will only work correctly in Windows 7 and Vista if you turn off UAC (User Account Control).

A more effective alternative for new operating systems would be one of the following.

#10 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

I downloaded and installed Erunt. There is something wrong with it. Every time I restart I get error message:

"unable to create file: C:\Windows\ERDNT\Auto Backup\date\ERDNT.INF"

I'm running Win10 on this machine. The auto reg backup sounded like a great idea.

Once again, you guys are a tsunami of useful info and I sure want you to know that I am greatful.

Edited by Old_Feller, 25 September 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,956 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:57 AM

That is what we are here for. So the next time when you ask a question about using a product, it's a good idea to wait for a reply before taking any action.

#12 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

The referral I'd posted to Tweaking's registry backup was a bit circuitous, sorry about that.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html
Regarding that error message whenever you restart, upon downloading ERUNT, an option for backup each time you do start the computer is checked (by default, I believe) for another registry backup to be performed. I always opted to backup manually so as to minimize the number of ERDNT folders stored. 
Since it won't work on Win. 10, moot point. Glad quietman7 posted a more direct route to Tweaking. 

#13 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

Just to be clear about jumping to the erunt download before getting an answer: the question I had asked wasn't about ERUNT. My use of English was poorly chosen, but my question was about NTREGOPT.

It had not occurred to me that ERUNT might be problematic. So your answers and all the information I can glean from the links you provided were awesome indeed!

Thanks again.

PS - tweaking looks good

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,956 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:20 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users