Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVidia card shot on an aging laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NastyNarwhal91

NastyNarwhal91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:40 AM

Hey all!

I have an ASUS K52JC which I received as a graduation present back in 2010. Unfortunately, it's suffering from some of the typical old-laptop slugishness - every once in a while when I'm running several programs at once, I hear the fan kick into high speed, and shortly the machine shuts down. Generally if I keep my resource usage down it's not an issue, but I use it for composing music on Finale which uses large libraries of sample files, so there's only so much avoidance here. Admittedly it hasn't seen much in-depth cleaning, so the fan/heatsink and keyboard are probably going to be the first components I replace. Also, the onboard NVidia GeForce 310m graphics card crapped out on me a year or so ago - driver update can't find any NVidia device in the system, and it doesn't show up in the device manager, so I can only assume it's dead. I emailed NVidia and ASUS a few months ago, but of course neither of them could tell me which cards are now compatible with my system. Now the next question is, instead of replacing it, could it possibly be upgraded to a similar, more recent model? I'm running on an Intel HM55 chipset with a core I5 450m 2.4gHz processor, I'd be happy to dig up more specs, or if anyone could suggest a few more troubleshooting options before I commit to attempting to replace a graphics card, that would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:55 AM

Have you checked to make sure the nVidia is not turned off in the BIOS - a fairly common occurrence with this model:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496697/my-graphics-card-nvidia-suddenly-disappeared-help/

Also, it's rare that the non-CPU video on a laptop is actually a card, mostly it's integrated into the mainboard and cannot be upgraded.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users