Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

I am getting a new computer in the next week or so and i plan on installing Windows 10 on a SSD, but i possess a 2TB HDD from a broken Lenovo machine that i have mentioned here before still. But for a test i had to install Windows 7 on it, just to see if that was the problem and i later found out that it was working fine as 7 installed without an issue. But i was wondering about how i can get it back to normal? Because when i tried to install 7 it said about windows having an MBR table and i needed a GPT disk, so i formatted it and changed it but if i format it again, will i get the 2TB back (or the 1.8gb)? Or will it be shrunk down in size forever. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adamsleath

adamsleath

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:18 AM

...only experience i have is with reformatting from mbr to gpt.

im on windows 7 and i actually required a third party program (AEOMI Partition Assistant) to change the mbr (which i had cloned from an mbr disk to a new 4TB disk)

larger disk requires gpt...

anyway, the extra space shows up under disk management.  just need to format using the disk management tools. (for some reason though i needed the partition assistant...maybe because windows 7 ..im not sure)

i guess what i am saying is you can manipulate it.  however in my case, due to cloning the old disk already onto the new one, then having unformatted and unallocated portion...i had to gove the unused portion a disk name and then format it...something like that.  so i have minimum two partitions with unique disk names aswell.

what is inknown to me though is im not using the new gpt disk as my boot drive. (its just data storage) so not sure what would happen if i cloned a windows installation from an mbr disk to a gpt disk.

must be common now as hdd drives are now commonly more than 2.2TB limit of mbr

Edited by adamsleath, 22 September 2017 - 02:25 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

Depends on the motherboard/system...and the size of the hard drive...whether or not GPT is necessary.

MBR and GPT are partitioning schemes.  Whether one or the other is used...is determined by several factors.

If the motherboard supports only UEFI, then GPT must be used.  If the motherboard supports BIOS only, then a typical MBR install can be done.

If user has a hard drive larger than 2TB...an MBR install of Win 7 will not recognize the full size of the drive, it will only recognize it as a 2TB drive.

If user has a hard drive larger than 2TB...GPT must be used to utilize  the full size of the drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Illustration:  I triple-boot (XP, Win 7, Win 10) on a system where the motherboard does not support UEFI, board reflects typical BIOS.  I had a 3TB drive attached.  The XP install only recognized the drive as a 2TB drive...while the Win 7 install recognized the drive as a 3TB drive.

If you setup a drive as GPT or MBR...and want to change to the other...there are various partition-manager programs that facilitate such.  The one I am most familiar with is EaseUS Partition Manager but the information provided HERE by this developer...is worth reading.

Louis

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

The PC i plugged it into to test it on was an old HP machine and here are the specs:

PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A99 Motherboard

Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 220 Regor 45nm Technology
RAM 3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)
Graphics 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 S24E510C (1920x1080@60Hz)
Hard drive 500GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-60Z1A SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
Optical Drive HP DVD A DH16AAL SCSI CDROM 
Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

I obviously disconnected the HDD that was in this machine originally and plugged in the 2TB one for the test. My new computer will have a Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Motherboard installed. Because i'll only be installing a few games and Windows itself on the SSD, while i use the old 2TB for my music and pictures. Thanks, i'll have to read that article now.

Edited by Miguel_92, 22 September 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

The new motherboard is UEFI. You can set the SSD for Windows 10 by doing the following.  Boot the Windows 10 install media. At the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands. I recommend you do this with only the SSD connected.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number of the disk you will install Windows 10. On a single disk system it will be zero.

clean                 Deletes all current partitions. Sets the full disk to unallocated

convert gpt       Initializes the disk as GPT to boot from UEFI

exit                    Exits diskpart

exit                    Exits command prompt

continue with the install. When you get to the screen showing the disk you will install Windows to click next. Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 September 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#6 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, i will give that a try. Just for the record i'll be installing Windows 10 via USB and not the CD as i won't be getting a CD drive with it, because i never use them and i have a lot of USB's and 2 external HDD's lol.

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

I've had to order my SSD separately because the company i am buying my new pc from charged £10 more than Amazon, so i'll need to wait till next week before i can set up my new computer i believe it will arrive today (it's now Saturday in England) so i'll let you know how it goes then.

#8 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

I did have another question related to storage devices, but i didn't want to waste time opening another post about it lol. How can i get back my full allocation of space on a 2GB USB? Because i installed a memory test program on it and i can only get 50MB of space back and not even 1.8gb or anything after formatting it lol. Thanks.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Do the following. Attach the flash drive. Open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with the flash drive. Make sure you have the correct number. Next step will wipe the drive

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

exit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users