Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Of Death after forced shutdown/updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhess56

jhess56

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

I have a win10 toshiba laptop...and was trying different things to try to fix the max disk 100% issue I'm always having to no avail. 

Updated some drivers, updated a registry file, which I later edited back via access my hd thru the 'hd sucker outer thing' I plugged into a secondary computer to poke around with.

Was running scan disc after a restart and it just hung and hung and huuuuuuuuuuuuung at (I think it was) 14% and I just got so sick of it I forced a shutdown via the power button and now when I push the power button it does not click on like usual but takes a good many seconds and then seems to turn on, but doesn't go anywhere...I here it whirring and the indicator lights are on but the screen is totally black.

As noted above I have one of those hard drive things that plug into it so you can see all your folders on another computer...not sure what they are called...and all my stuff is backed up in dropbox so no worries there and I've been needing a new udgraded laptop anyways, but I would rather not lose this laptop if possible.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Have you considered doing a clean install of Windows 10?

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 and the factory recovery partition is intact you can do a factory reset.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4009407

If an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 your better off doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool to create the DVD/USB flash drive.

#3 jhess56

jhess56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

I'm not sure how I would do that if I have the black screen right from powering up...I can't access anything to do anything

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

You do not see the Toshiba logo when booting the computer? I thought the black screen was after the Toshiba logo. In other words you cannot access your UEFI/BIOS settings?

#5 jhess56

jhess56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

i see nothing start to finish but a black screen unfortunately

i tried hitting various f buttons to try to access something like safe mode but i get nothing

seems weird the screen itself would take a dump at the same time as this other stuff, too coinidental so i dont think its just a blown out screen, especially since it wont come up on my external monitor either...that coupled with its weird slow delayed power up cycle

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Pull the power. If you can access the main battery easily then remove it also. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and battery.

If that does not help then I think it needs to go to a good shop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users