Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problems using a PCI graphics card with a PCIE card to use 5 monitors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ugha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Hello everyone, new member here with a unique problem.
To start, I've searched the forums and found several posts a bit like mine but none of the listed solutions helped me, so I hope I haven't
violated any rules by starting another.
My situation is that I've got three (very old, VGA) monitors that I use for gaming that serve me quite well, but I'd like to connect
my two TVs to my computer as well, mirroring my center monitor so that my family can see whats going on as well.
I recently purchased a XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB that works great for everything I need, but I had to purchase two adapters to make my ancient
monitors work with it. This isn't the problem.
I'd like a low or no cost solution for adding two additional monitors. I have a couple very old PCIE graphics cards (2005ish era) that
would work, except my motherboard only has one PCIE x16 slot, a PCIE x1 and a couple PCI slots (One of which is covered by my RX 460).
I considered cutting down the connector on one of my old graphics cards, or modding the motherboard to accept a larger card, but
then I remembered I had an old PNY GeForce 8400 GS PCI in a junk computer, so I tried tossing that in with my 460. I installed the
Nvidia drivers and it sort of worked, they gave an error and when I try to pull up the Nvidia control panel it says no Nvidia device
is connected. If I set my motherboard to PCI first then it will POST on the Nvidia card, but my three monitors connected to my 460
stay blank. If I set it to PEG first, then it'll boot, my three monitors work and it shows that a tv is connected, but I can't enable
the tv as an extended monitor, and it doesn't give me the option to mirror.
Everything I've read on this forum and the 'net says that this SHOULD work, even though one card is AMD and one is Nvidia. I just
don't know what to try next.
The reason why I don't want to buy a new card is because I'm on a fixed income and just had a child, so disposable income is non-existent
right now. So if some one can get back to me on something else I can try that might get this working with little to no expense, I'd
really appreciate it.
My setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 (Newegg item: N82E16819103696)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (Newegg item: N82E16813128394)
GPU1: XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB (Newegg item: N82E16814150778)
GPU2: PNY GeForce 8400 GS (Newegg item: N82E16814133364)
Ram: 6GB DDR2 (mixed type)
SSD: Corsair Force LS Series 120GB (Newegg item: N82E16820233611)
HDD: 1TB disk drive (Can't remember type)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

You're a braver person than I to try getting an nVidia and AMD card to work at the same time in the same computer.

USB to VGA adapter?

#3 Ugha

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

That was my first thought, so I picked up this one from walmart on sale. The freaking drivers screwed up my computer, it wouldn't boot no matter what I did, not even to safe mode. I had to do a complete windows reinstall in order to even use my computer. Very annoying, that thing went back the next day. If you, or anyone else, has experience with the one you suggested though, I might give it a shot.

I also thought, perhaps a HDMI splitter? A 1x3 splitter that takes the single from my comp and sends it to two tvs and the HDMI->VGA adapter I have connected to one of my monitors. But doesn't HDMI have

some kind of ability to talk back and tell the computer what screen is connected? Would that mess it up, or force them all to be on the lowest resolution or something?

Cheapest I could find was this one but its $27 which is a bit higher than I had hoped. Could something like this work if I daisy-chain it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users