Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well..oops

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

Wellll...I recently tried to get rid of windows messenger...And ended up getting rid of all my windows components but windows messenger...I cought it before my computer restarted, and fixed it..Reinstalling them all from the add/remove windows component page...Seems to be working fine..

Besides an odd program and some extra process running, Already posted a hijackthis in case something funky is going on..

I should be alright right? (Needless to say...More than a mild heartattack when I saw what had happened...)
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

Hrm...It seems to be running fine except for an added process or to, and a slightly longer boot...But m SG icon in toolbar is gone...Any explanations? I know it's running..But I cant see it (SG = SpywareGuard)

sgmain.exe and sgbhp.exe are in processes and it's in autostart as well..Wierd...I noticed My autostarts where missing 3 or 4 too...

Edited by Ngarskel, 19 September 2006 - 10:32 AM.

"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

Oops? Uh-oh!

First let's see how the HiJackThis log comes out - then we'll deal with the rest (since the computer's still working). Messing with the system during an HJT analysis can hose everything (both the HJT analysis and the problem on the system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

If you have an active post open in our HJT forum please do not make any other attempts to do anything with the computer as any changes will cause your HJT Log to become inaccurate.

When they are finished with your HJT Log if you still have problems come back here.

#5 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

Well...The problem was kinda my doing...Just wondering..Did Microsoft issue an out of cycle secuirty update? After that snafu I seem to have installed one...

Yes..Its working like normal except for the above issues...

No I havent done any changes to my system since that log, I was hoping to see if someone had a quick fix so I didnt end up wasting the HJT teams time when it was something they didnt need to look at.

Edited by Ngarskel, 19 September 2006 - 10:35 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

I studied the spyware trade for a while and found that it took too much of my time. The analysis of a HJT log is very difficult and the HJT Team spends many hours working on the logs.

The symptoms that you describe are very similar to malware infections - that's the criteria for starting an HJT log analysis.

We appreciate your trying to save the HJT Team the effort - but that's what they're here for. And, since you suspected an infection a HJT log is a reasonable first step. The next steps rely upon having a clean system to work with.

We'll be waiting here once the log is done and we can continue with it then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

Well..I dont know if its an infection or just a sideaffect of uninstalling/reinstalling most of the windows components...Which undoubtably wasent good for my system..But after looking over what was uninstalled none are actually critical...

Yet theres still those few extra processes running and that windows update that was out of cycle...I figured a hijackthis was prudent to see if something had slipped onto my computer in the chaos or something like that...

It's running, with no noticable slowdowns after bootup...

I looked over the log myself and didnt see anything that I know wasent supposed to run on my computer...(I'm not an expert but I've had sparetime betwene english essays to figure out whats been running..)

The only real concern I have is the missing 'SG' in the toolbar...All my monitors are updating fine and such, and I havent had any warnings...

I'm waiting patiently for the HJT to glance over my log, mabey they'll spot something not malware related thats causing this...I doubt my fk up was healthy for my system

EDIT: I just managed to get the full name of that wierd program from my Norton Logs when it accessed the internet and found out what it was... bootstrap.exe , Apparently part of the MSN messenger...I had just updated right before this fk up..So mabey I'm being paranoid...

Edited by Ngarskel, 19 September 2006 - 11:11 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

Are you being paranoid if they're really out to get you? Hackers look for people to prey on - a healthy dose of paranoia is good on the web!

#9 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

Odd...Thats what I told my roommate right before I fkd up :thumbsup:...Then again...He uses hijackthis for his AV and only put in Symantic Corporate when the University forced him to...He feels Security Software slows his computer down..True...Rather have the secuirty than not...Whih is why my missing 'SG' icon irritates me and concerns me...No reason it shouldent be there...

It may be a few days before HJT can get to my log, so I'll just keep worrying...being paranoid..And generally hope that my computer dosent decide to do BSOD during my english paper...If it does it after thursday it's alright...Its Due thursday :flowers:

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

As long as it's not Blue Screening constantly you can cope with it by saving your work more often.

Once the log is done, we'll be able to get to the problem (if it still exists) and fix it.

FWIW - I've spent an awful lot of time around NC (and Raleigh) I was stationed at Ft. Bragg for 8 years, Camp Lejeune for 2, and I have family in Hickory.

#11 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm from Newport NC...It's around Camp Lejune and CPMACS. If all else fails I'll give you my dorm adress :thumbsup:

#12 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

Well... 'SG' icon is back in the toolbar....Now my 'Webroot SpySweeper' icon is gone.. Dammnit

Also norton just updated and did a quickscan before I could think to turn it off...Nothing found...

I believe my computer hates me..All my task icons are back but spysweeper is consuming an ungodly amount of ram O.o ~ 60mb

Edited by Ngarskel, 19 September 2006 - 04:11 PM.

#13 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

Okay ffs...Now the tabs on my task manager are gone..Nfi why..I was clicking back and forth then *poof* they disappeared...Soo anyone know why it might do that?

I'm about fed up of things misteriously happening to my laptop...Would it screw up my norton/spysweeper subscription if I did a restore to a point a couple of days ago? That would certainly solve my problem.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

As long as you have the key for the Norton products you have installed you should be able to reinstall them.

You will also have to redownload and install any Windows Updates installed after the restore date.

If you decide to use System Restore please go to your HJT log and advise them that you did so.

#15 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

As long as you have the key for the Norton products you have installed you should be able to reinstall them.

You will also have to redownload and install any Windows Updates installed after the restore date.

If you decide to use System Restore please go to your HJT log and advise them that you did so.

My norton and webroot where installed by a 3rd party...I do NOT have the keys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users